Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Does anyone know the 61' CPMY in Vero Beach?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    As to why Sportfishers do not have stabilizers, I know my fishing friends would hate to loose any speed that the drag of stabilizers would have. If you follow this forum, lots of threads talk about tweaking an extra knot out of these boats. John
    Sportfishers have stabilizers. Located in the throttles.

If you've repowered to lighter engines and done nothing else, you've elevated the COG. Period. Full stop. You must counteract that, or you've got added roll and/or snap. If you have stabilizers, you've now asked them to work much harder.

Add the weight, lower than it was originally.

Interesting discussion. It is a handsome boat, but I would have all the same worries. I would get a naval architect on there to test her stability and righting moment, and proceed from there. Was tyhe repower done at JB? If so, perhaps they have stability testing paperwork from their work orders.

As to being used as a trawler, of course it was. It can't go any faster than that, essentially.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Interesting discussion. It is a handsome boat, but I would have all the same worries. I would get a naval architect on there to test her stability and righting moment, and proceed from there. Was tyhe repower done at JB? If so, perhaps they have stability testing paperwork from their work orders.

As to being used as a trawler, of course it was. It can't go any faster than that, essentially.
    Right, but that trawler cannot outrun that thunder buster that just appeared off your transom, closing quickly, and that sea (or bay) can get choppy in a hurry...we've all been there. Boat needs to behave safely, and the lower the COG the more comfortable in all conditions...

Know her pretty well. We sold her to the current owner and relisted her for almost a year so she been on the market for almost 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Scott makes an excellent point. I have a friend with a 60MY with Wilcox stabilizers. He was crossing Lake Michigan when the seas really picked up. One of his stabilizer fins went hard over and got stuck there. He couldn't go much over idle and even then the boat listed badly. His wife tells about the gunnel dripping below the water on several occasions. They were really scared but the boat made it.

The point is, you want it to right itself if something like this happens and it ends up laying over 60 degrees.
    Having had this issue once before myself when the yard unbeknownst to me forgot to take out the centering pins after doing some work on the system, I simply started tacking my course. Not fun, but with proper timing of the turns, no traumatic heeling.

Per another comment here, high end sportfishers are becoming increasingly "standard" with the Seakeeper gyros, which got their first adoption in that segment, primarily to provide a solder platform on the troll drift, which fins do not.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by wsdemmer View Post
    Know her pretty well. We sold her to the current owner and relisted her for almost a year so she been on the market for almost 2 years.
    So you must know the previous owner? Do you have any idea who did the repower?

Long story short: we could not come to terms with the seller of the 61' and are now under contract on the 1987 63' CPMY in JAX. We had a sucessful sea-trial today and barring any unforeseen complications, we hope to close on her in a week or two.

Although she has high time 12v71TI's (4700hrs), a compression test showed all cylinders to be within specs (440 to 460) with one @ 430psi. Tony Drivalis, the engine surveyor, opened her up and all cylinders are showing good cross hatching with the low one being a bit more worn than the others. On a cold start she threw white smoke for about 30 secs and blue smoke for another minute more. Once we got her out in the river/bay and ran up to 1950 she smoked blue again for about a minute more than was clear from then on. According to the broker, the bulk of her time was spent @ 9kts and it has been several months since she left her slip. Tony says this was the cause of the smoke: it just needed to be cleared by running at high cruise for a bit. Any comments?

Anyway, after a decade of lurking and asking dumb questions, it seems we are to be Hatteras owners at last. We will be keeping her in her current concrete roofed berth at Lambs Yacht Center in JAX and we hope to moved aboard in a few months once we finish downsizing in Paso Robles.

Thanks to all who helped us with our purchase, especially the surveyor recommendations: Bill Gladding is a wonder! And the MTOA came in with an insurance quote that was thousands lower than anyone else, thanks for the tip.

The edit function here is inop for me so here is a link to the newest member of our family: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987...g#.Wrwpy-v3arX

Pictures look great, well cared for, congrats. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.