Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Does anyone know the 61' CPMY in Vero Beach?

I wondered if anyone was familiar with this boat:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984...g#.Wo8-nus8KrU

I toured it today and was quite impressed, but wondered if the members had any input or information. I have spent this week criss-crossing Florida looking at yachts, and she was the cream of the crop. Boy, I sure kissed a lot of frogs before I got to this one. The Admiral is home holding down the fort while I do the legwork and we FaceTime so she can see what I see and I can tell her what I smell! Long story short, she upped the budget significantly after seeing how far our original, based upon Yachtworld photos, budget went.

Thanks in advance for any help......

Re: Does anyone know the 61' CPMY in Vero Beach?

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...ight=1984+cpmy I think this is the same boat. If so it looks to be under powered. If its original DD 12v71ti then it was around 650 hp each. This one looks to be around 405 hp each. I would suspect the weight removal would be an issue too.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

If you love the boat, get a naval architect to do some quick calculations of the Righting Moment, and have the seller pay to have that spec restored to factory, and live with the slower speeds, if you are an inshore cruiser.
    There was a Hatt in this size range and timeframe refit like this in Jarrett Bay and the waterline came up 5 or 6 inches. a young software guy, first boat, had it done. No idea if it is the same one.
    That captain only went offshore on bluebird days.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Those new engines weigh a ton.

Seriously they're about 2k pounds apiece. Bow much did the original power weigh?

Looks like a great dock queen and river boat.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

So, if there are stability issues could they be corrected by adding lead ballast? If so, it seems it could be a straight forward fix if needed. We would run whatever boat we acquired at hull speed any way so not being able to get up on plane is not a concern. Our goal is a boat suitable for the ICW and the Bahamas and we are retired so we can choose our weather windows if necessary. Also we would probably not cross the Gulf Stream for the Bahamas without full fuel and lots of stores which might also help.

What attracted me was the obvious pride of ownership indicated by the overall condition of the boat, as well as the Cummins engines with only 1500hrs. Also a Yachtfisherman with an 18' beam and two walk around engine rooms seemed to be something that would meet our needs....

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    If you love the boat, get a naval architect to do some quick calculations of the Righting Moment, and have the seller pay to have that spec restored to factory, and live with the slower speeds, if you are an inshore cruiser.
    There was a Hatt in this size range and timeframe refit like this in Jarrett Bay and the waterline came up 5 or 6 inches. a young software guy, first boat, had it done. No idea if it is the same one.
    That captain only went offshore on bluebird days.
    Thanks for the information, the current owner was not the one who did the re-power back in 2009, but he has taken her to the Bahamas several times a year since she has been in his care. I have no idea how she fared and what her motion was, nor do I know the area of the Niad fins, but IIRC they were added at the time of the repower. I will call Jarrett Bay tomorrow and see if they did stability calculations at that time.

If it's the same boat, it came from Wrightsville Beach.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

8. Cool Re: Does anyone know the 61' CPMY in Vero Beach?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Those new engines weigh a ton.

Seriously they're about 2k pounds apiece. Bow much did the original power weigh?

Looks like a great dock queen and river boat.
    HAHAHA! Wow. Exactly. You would probably need some C18's to match the weight of the 12v71s. I haven't done the math, but yeah 1000hp modern diesel would weigh about the same if not a larger engine! I have been wondering what would fit and be close weight wise. All i know it that i would need some big props and probably an upgrade to 3" shafts! That boat would handle very poorly with that little weight down there. I would definitely pass on that boat if that was the case.

That is a lot of ballast to add. Each original engine weighed 4925 lbs x 2 = 9850 lbs
    The new ones are 2153 each x 2 = 4306 lbs

By taking out the Detroits you lost 5,544 pounds.

That is a lot of lead to add to a boat.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Ballast with rum.

That's a good weeks worth of rum
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.