Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Varnish Bubbles

Re: Varnish Bubbles

Perfect. One thing I do to make it flow like glass is put the varnish in a plastic bowl and pop it in an old microwave for about 30 seconds to warm it up. There will be no bubbles and you can varnish like a pro. Just don’t over heat. Should be warm not hot. I also apply it with a foam brush but a good hogs hair brush will also work great. I like the foam because there is no clean up. Also if you use my heating method you do not need to thin the varnish. Hope this helps.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Is there a specific varnish u would recommend?

Some of the best out there. Pricey but lasts.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have had great results with Bristol. It stinks like hell but for most jobs it's applied outside. I like foam
    brushes but they only last about a minute or two before they start to get limp. At that point throw it
    out and use another and keep repeating. Don't try for the extra minute as they will start to deteriorate
    and mess up your job. A good brush works very well but you need to really clean them perfectly or
    they will be trash. The Bristol really lasts as they claim but don't skimp on the number of coats.

Walt

I tried Bristol and can't stand the stuff. I went back to varnish. And now, I coat over my varnish with Imron MS1 clear. Its expensive but it lasts.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I'm curious Sky, What didn't you like about Bristol? Mixing 2 parts, smell, clean up etc....

Walt

port rail.jpgI use Awlspar for build coats and Awlbrite for finish coats with great results. Did this last weekend.
    Also, for a tip-o-the-day, i tape all the deck hatches to keep all the sanding dust from getting into the scuppers when washing down between coats etc.

Like a piece of furniture. Outstanding.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff58y View Post
    Attachment 24579I use Awlspar for build coats and Awlbrite for finish coats with great results. Did this last weekend.
    Also, for a tip-o-the-day, i tape all the deck hatches to keep all the sanding dust from getting into the scuppers when washing down between coats etc.
    Looks fantastic...... how long will it last. I actually got nice finishes with regular varnish but it was a
    PITA to maintain since it didn't last long before requiring recoating or worse....

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    I'm curious Sky, What didn't you like about Bristol? Mixing 2 parts, smell, clean up etc....

Walt
    I didn't last much longer than varnish and it was more difficult to work with. And much harder to strip once it started to fail.

At the time I was using it, I also put it on my interior parquet floors. I used their additive to get rid of some of the shine. Although they said it was used on commercial dance floors, I have scratches all over it.

All and all, it was okay, but I won't use it again.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 02-23-2018 at 09:41 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI