Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Varnish Bubbles

Varnish Bubbles

Got a few spots near chrome hardware where finish has lifted. Rest of the rails look great. Is it possible to spot repair and blend in without redoing entire rail?

Re: Varnish Bubbles

Not if you want it right.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    Got a few spots near chrome hardware where finish has lifted. Rest of the rails look great. Is it possible to spot repair and blend in without redoing entire rail?

What varnish and how long has it been on? This may be water getting under the varnish at the hardware.

Bobk

You can spot repair, but your final coat will still require sanding and coating the whole rail

if you varnished around but not under the hardware then there is a likelihood that water is getting under the finish where the varnish stops at the edge of the hardware and then migrating under the finish and lifting it. it can also indicate the fitting may be no longer water tight and letting water into the core? of the boat. also to pass along a tip told to me long ago i keep a small bottle like a ladies eyeliner with a small brush inside with the varnish i use.any time the vanish is nicked a quick swipe of the brush keeps water out till i can do a better fix

Only one way to do it. Do it right.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Only one way to do it. Do it right.
    So, is that with the lady's eyeliner brush or not?

The PO did the varnishing. It just seems like a waste of resources (time & money) to strip 25' of rail for a 4" issue. Perhaps some day I'll have an abundance of both.

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    So, is that with the lady's eyeliner brush or not?
    LOL. No light sand and recoat the whole thing. Just make sure the areas under the metal is sealed. If not this will happen again. It’s wort the extra effort. What varnish are you using?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Not sure. The PO won't respond to emails anymore. So prep area down to wood where lifted. Re-varnish till build up the same, then give old finish some tooth by light sand, then top coat to blend old with new. Do I have that right?