Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

What is your preferable bottom paint in Florida?

The bottom of my 53 MY was painted with Trinidad SR in early 2015. I am due for a bottom paint.
    There is some paint coming off the water line.

Any suggestion of type of paint? should I switch to ablative? (I always used ablative for my previous boats).

For south east Florida fellow boaters, which marina did you use? and how expensive did it cots you? any recommendations are highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Re: What is your preferable bottom paint in Florida?

Id only use micron 66. the vessel needs to be stripped and prepped to work right on boats that have hard paint though.

In the area here the paint ( not stripping, prep, hauling, storage) is about $50 per foot for 2 full coats and a third on the waterline.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

3. Re: What is your preferable bottom paint in Florida?

Last July we had the bottom done at Scorpion Marine in Port Canaveral; around $45/ft. with Interlux Aqua One base pant. Running gear was extra, about $350 each.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Prop speed on the gear, Interlux Micron Extra was ok on the Caloosahatchee.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by captainwjm View Post
    Last July we had the bottom done at Scorpion Marine in Port Canaveral; around $45/ft. with Interlux Aqua One base pant. Running gear was extra, about $350 each.
    Aqua one is 1/4 The price of micron 66. I wonder how it works.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Lat year up in the PNW I was looking for something better than TRilux 11 for my Al. hull, I discovered a product name JOTUN was developed in Norway for use on offshore oil rigs, price was 60% of Trilux and much heavier quality, subsequently I discovered that many Yacht owners in Florida are impressed with the Jotun products for F.G hulls might be worth checking out as an alternative. I paid up here in US dollar equivalent 125.00 per gallon. YMMV

7. Re: What is your preferable bottom paint in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Aqua one is 1/4 The price of micron 66. I wonder how it works.
    Still early, of course, but here in the Keys, with much cleaner water that along the mid-coast, I'm satisfied.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Blue Water paint has been treating me well. All the info (and where to buy at discount) here: http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...any-experience
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I used Trinidad 75 last April. Paint still looks great but my diver does come out every four or five weeks year round to clean moderate soft growth. Was expecting less growth. The boat is in south Biscayne Bay with very warm water though.

After five days on the hard, bottom paint, lubing seacocks and repacking rudder glands, I paid about 4K.
    Vic
    1978 Hatteras 46C Hull #127
    "LISA'S HATT"
    Miami, Fl.