Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Proper sealant to use on hatch between “glass” and aluminum frame

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Boatlife Life seal. Its a combination silicone/polyurethane. Its safe for Lexan. I used it on my hatch years ago and its still watertight.

Read about it here:

http://www.boatlife.com/lifeseal-sealant-cartridges/
    Sky,

Does the silicone in this mixture result in any staining with dirt or streaking on your paint? I have been re-bedding fittings on my boat that were done long ago with silicone and I hate the stuff.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    Sky,

Does the silicone in this mixture result in any staining with dirt or streaking on your paint? I have been re-bedding fittings on my boat that were done long ago with silicone and I hate the stuff.

Jon
    No, not that I have noticed. But, I never used anything with silicone in it. If you do, you will not be able to paint it later. The only reason I used it here was I had to find the right stuff to use on my hatch that would bond to both fiberglass and acrylic and allow for the differing thermal expansion rates of the two materials.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Consider using Sikaflex 295 UV (available in white or black).
    Available from sources like Jamestown Distributor, Boat outfitters, Defender Marine and of course Amazon.

Sam's doesn't stock it because it does have about a 1 year shelf life.
    It has all the right words in the description for i.e. bonding Glass, Acrylic, ceramic, aluminum, fiberglass, metal and plastic.

This is what Sam's recommended to me to use putting in my new glass windows in the pilot house helm aluminum frames and the new Lexan port windows in there aluminum frames back in the aft state room.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

i'm getting ready to replace my 3 front windshields, what would ya'll recommend for aluminum frame to fiberglass and also glass to aluminum frame? i have been told instead of using the original rubber gasket that it is better to tape off the frame and glass and make a gasket with sealant. this does not allow any water to get to the frame-glass area like the rubber gasket would. what do yall think? 4 of my side windows have this type of sealant gasket and they have not leaked since i purchased the boat 12 years ago.