Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Running Gear Pettit "Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier" #1792 Protects Underwater Metal

Does anyone have any experience with this Pettit paint? Heard a sales pitch on it but I am looking for real experience. I am hauling out in May and am making my plans for what I am going to use.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

2. Re: Running Gear Pettit "Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier" #1792 Protects Underwater Metal

No. If you haven't already purchased I would do a search for "cold galv". I started using it as many others have and its super cheap.

Re: Running Gear Pettit "Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier" #1792 Protects Underwater Metal

Quote Originally Posted by tomrealest View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with this Pettit paint? Heard a sales pitch on it but I am looking for real experience. I am hauling out in May and am making my plans for what I am going to use.
    I had it installed by Atlantic Yacht Basin several years ago. It didn't hold up well enough for me to use it again, but I was running 3000 miles a year at that point.

Bobk

Re: Running Gear Pettit "Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier" #1792 Protects Underwater Metal

Cold galvanizing works great! Of course the boat sees 200 hours a year with an average speed of 27 knots. Well maybe 20 if you factor trolling time and docking.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    Cold galvanizing works great! Of course the boat sees 200 hours a year with an average speed of 27 knots. Well maybe 20 if you factor trolling time and docking.
    I tried that too, but it didn't last long. Can you comment on your results without the cold galvanizing? Perhaps your speed and frequent use are keeping the gear clean??

Bobk

Two coats of Barnacle Barrier under two coats of Hydrocoat Eco on running gear 1 1/2 yrs ago. Diver reports it’s in good shape. This was recommended by the paint/fiberglass guy who recored my front deck; so far, so good.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Tom,
    we have been using Velox http://www.antifoulingpaint.net/ . Holds up well, any growth pretty much wipes off. I have it only on propellers now and will apply to all my underwater metal at our next haul....Pat

I applied several coats of cold galvanize at my last haul.
    My diver told me it lasted a month, typical for San Diego.
    Not worth the trouble here.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

I put Petit Prop Coat & Barnacle Barrier on carefully on one prop and one shaft and left the other one bare. 2 months in fresh water and one month in salt water later, no difference between the treated and untreated metal. No thanks here. I did run from Chicago to Key West during those months, so running may have made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    I tried that too, but it didn't last long. Can you comment on your results without the cold galvanizing? Perhaps your speed and frequent use are keeping the gear clean??

Bobk
    I used it on a 43 DC also. Ran her 100 hours per year. Worked better than no paint. Certainly the usage makes a difference. Hauling the Tiara next week. I'll report on the shape of the old cold galvanizing. There has been quite a bit left each time. The props are Nibral.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"