Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: West Marine now matching online pricing

Nice for you that you have a PS account with them. Frankly, I decline to take advantage of anything which would make it easier for me to shop at WM. I don't see the point in it. Why would I want to make it easier to shop at a store I can't stand?

As to Randy Repass, I did not know he was no longer the owner or HMFIC at WM. It scarcely matters, though. The company has been run by people of lousy character for ages, including Randy. (Randy had a gentlemen's agreement with Dick Schwartz of BoatUS that they would not directly compete- then Randy welshed on it without warning, opening stores all over, driving BoatUS out of business and acquiring them- and then raising prices steadily thereafter) It's interesting to me that WM bought their stock back and went private again. This is not good news for people such as us because they are no longer responsible to shareholders, who might have had at least some of the interests of the boating public in mind. They are now responsbile to no one but themselves, and we can expect the usual nonsense to continue.

West Marine would not have my business if they offered me everything for free for a year. I'd rather pay for it from a local company who are boaters themselves. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Are you a professional in the business or did west give you a wholesale account to screw the competition. On of their practices is to open non industry professionals as wholesale even though they know it's against most manufacturers polocy.
    What’s a professional? Your definition may be a bit narrow to suit your point of view. If WM, for example, requires a sales tax number and maybe a business license for a port city card, who has the right to determine if the recipient is a professional? As far as I know, there probably isn’t a dealer agreement for hose clamps as opposed to marine electronics.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

No but for many higher end items like electrical and electronics. My point is they undercut local service providers and true distributors to advance their interests with no regard for following rules.

Without a sales tax number and a business license for marine related business and most importantly propper insurance as I'm required to carry for work at marinas.

If I were not a garmin authorized dealer should I be allowed to buy from west wholesale for resale beyond the limits of their manufacturers contract? Should you be able to buy at at discount because you have a lawn service or plumbing company?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

No but for many higher end items like electrical and electronics. My point is they undercut local service providers and true distributors to advance their interests with no regard for following rules.Without a sales tax number and a business license for marine related business and most importantly propper insurance as I'm required to carry for work at marinas. If I were not a garmin authorized dealer should I be allowed to buy from west wholesale for resale beyond the limits of their manufacturers contract? Should you be able to buy at at discount because you have a lawn service or plumbing company?
    Sure you should. Tractors have nav systems. I’m kinda kidding, but you’re taking it out on WM. While I’m no friend of WM, they’re doing exactly what, using your example, Garmin wants them to do. It’s an old story played out in just about every industry.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 02-26-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Actually garmin, simrad and others have cut them off for product many times. They are a retail outlet and can not sell below MRP for resale. Defender was cut off for doing it a while back too.

It's not want the manufacturers want. They're just too big to effectively punish.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I notice WM does not carry Furuno. I wonder if that has something to do with it.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Probably.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Actually garmin, simrad and others have cut them off for product many times. They are a retail outlet and can not sell below MRP for resale. Defender was cut off for doing it a while back too.

It's not want the manufacturers want. They're just too big to effectively punish.
    Having been through all this in other industries, I'm skeptical. The manufacturers may tell you WM is a bad boy, but the product is in their stores, right? Based on my EXTENSIVE knowledge and experience with corporate tactics, I think they are trying to get you to believe they are victims too. How many times do you cut someone off before you really cut them off? But it sounds good every time you hear it.

This may likely be a case of the tail wagging the dog. You, I'm sure, offer fair prices, expert installation and support. WM offers 250+ stores with extensive displays, back-up inventory and slick advertising. If you're a large multi-national corporation, where are you going to place your products. As has been the case over and over, if one customer becomes a large part of your overall sales, you might just have to turn a blind eye sometimes. Of course, they're going to tell you what you want to hear because you are both victims, right? But in the end, WM still has the product on the floor.

It's all about moving the numbers and market share.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Well stated Robert.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Allow me to flip the coin and inquire as to what marine retail outlets are favored by members.

For general marine items I have two goto online sources. Defender Marine is usually my first stop. I have been a customer of theirs for probably 40 years dating back to when they were a simple parts counter in New Rochelle, NY and I lived in the northeast. Newer to me, but a source I like is Hodges Marine in the Clearwater, FL area.

BTW, a new WM replacement store just opened about 10 miles from me, but not for me. My favorite local business was Roy's Marine, a small family business, that got surrounded by two WM stores (New Bern and Morehead City, NC) and shut down.

I am also not a "price match" buyer. If someone offers me a good price, why should I give my business to someone who did not in the first instance?

Pete