Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: West Marine now matching online pricing

Fitting for this post.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Remember gander mountain.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I went into West yesterday to buy four specialty bulbs. Two were blue festoon bulbs and two were blue G4 bulbs. I checked online and found West's prices to be the best. I also forwarded to my cell phone, the link for each bulb from their website so I made sure to get the right bulbs. The total price before tax should have been $80. I then go to the West store. At the register, they ring up the four bulbs and come up with a total of $144. I say that total is incorrect and show them the links from their own site. They then adjust the total from $144 down to $80. No explanation, no apology, no reaction. No way to run a business.

Lightbulb West Marine now matching online pricing

It's hard to manage how employees/management act &/or do their jobs when the owner/s aren't present to hold their hands.
    Hard work pays off in the future.
    Laziness, pays off now!

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    I went into West yesterday to buy four specialty bulbs. Two were blue festoon bulbs and two were blue G4 bulbs. I checked online and found West's prices to be the best. I also forwarded to my cell phone, the link for each bulb from their website so I made sure to get the right bulbs. The total price before tax should have been $80. I then go to the West store. At the register, they ring up the four bulbs and come up with a total of $144. I say that total is incorrect and show them the links from their own site. They then adjust the total from $144 down to $80. No explanation, no apology, no reaction. No way to run a business.
    They are running their business based on the fact that most buyers are not as prepared as you and that
    way all those who question the transaction are recalculated to the lower price, but since most don't know
    any better they stick it to them. Talk about dishonorable.........

Walt

Post it on yelp. The world reads that site. If they don’t take those comments seriously they won’t last.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Post it on yelp. The world reads that site. If they don’t take those comments seriously they won’t last.
    When you've become a virtual monopoly, you don't have to take those comments seriously.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The west marines in San Diego, Newport, and to a lesser degree Long Beach are all well stocked. I am fortunate to have a port supply account and when choosing products wisely I can get 40% off my total. I don’t know why people bash WM. There used to be a chain called boaters world out here. They went under over a decade ago. They sucked...quality was way worse than west and prices only slightly cheaper.

I'm fortunate enough to live in Annapolis, which has a large enough boating community to support a very fine independent marine store which is locally owned. (Fawcett's) I pay a bit more there sometimes, but they know what they are doing, they are happy to do special orders (not that they need to, much, because they are very well stocked) AND they have a division called Chesapeake Marine Fasteners which just sells hardware. Also a mail order division called Pyacht.com which you all might check out. I haven't used it because I live near them.

I very seldom go in West Marine. Their prices are way higher, their service is mediocre at best, and they don't seem interested in older people like me who maintain their own boats. There are also several instances, well-documented, of WM trying to rip off people's inventions (the Ultra Pump Switch is one) with a knockoff version of their own and just daring the inventor to sue them. That kind of behavior is unconscionable- it's disgusting.

I'd have to be in dire straits indeed to buy from them.

I should also mention that we have another outfit, Bacon's, which started out as a used boating gear store but also now sells new equipment as well. I buy from them, too.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    The west marines in San Diego, Newport, and to a lesser degree Long Beach are all well stocked. I am fortunate to have a port supply account and when choosing products wisely I can get 40% off my total. I don’t know why people bash WM. There used to be a chain called boaters world out here. They went under over a decade ago. They sucked...quality was way worse than west and prices only slightly cheaper.
    Are you a professional in the business or did west give you a wholesale account to screw the competition. On of their practices is to open non industry professionals as wholesale even though they know it's against most manufacturers polocy.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.