Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

New Lazarette Floor

I want to install a floor between the stringers on my 42c. I want it to sit on PVC cleats fastened to the stringers similar to the engine room floor. What do the experts feel is the best way to fasten the cleats to the stringers. Can I drill the stringers for screws and use 5200 to seal it back up. I have not done any testing yet to see if 5200 will bond PVC, that happens this weekend.

Thanks for the input,
    Walt Hoover

Re: New Lazarette Floor

Personally don't think I would use 5200 here. Unless you are trying to psychically glue the pvc to the stringer? I would think your mechanical fasteners (screws or bolts) would be plenty to hold it in place. If you just need to seal out potential water ingress 4200 will be a better solution.

If you ever need to remove it, or a future owner needs to remove it, you will curse the day you decided to use 5200.

4200 and 5200 both adhere to pic.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I tackled that job a couple years ago.
    I was detailing the lazarette and my existing "floor" was old painted plywood mounted to the stringers with badly corroded aluminum angle. Simply repainting wasn't going to cut it.
    After painting out the bilge area I replaced the aluminum angle with 2"x2"x1/4" G-7 fiberglass angle and the floor boards with 1/4" fiberglass G-10 plate. This material will last forever in this application and never rot, split, corrode, etc..
    After painting with LP it looks great, feels solid as a rock, and I'll never have to fool with it ......ever.
    I sealed the new 316L bolts with 4200.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Lucky, that's the perfect way to do that project.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thanks all, I'll use screws and 4200 to seal the fasteners and accomplish some gluing. I have had well painted plywood down there for over fifteen years now and it has held up very well. That floor was sitting on top of rhe stringers but lowering it will give me more room.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover