Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Rocket Launcher for fighting chair build

First coat of primer on it. I was using Brightsides 1 part paint for the final paint, so I used their recommended primer, I believe it was called Pre-Kote. I waited and sanded between coats as per the mfg recommendations.

Believe this was the second coat of primer, which was mixed half/half with the final paint (as per mfg recommendations)

First coat of paint

Final product (missing mounting hardware in the tray, wanted to get better looking bolts)

Final product with mounting hardware

Overall, VERY satisfied with the end result. I'll be getting a removable rubber mat material to put in the tray.

Fall/Winter project will be adding a few drawers to the bottom and also getting it mounted up to the fighting chair. The drawers will have oiled teak fronts to bring a little teak flavor to the cockpit.

Also, I'll be putting together a cover for it and replacing the one oddball rod holder.

I believe I have come to the conclusion I want to be able to use this in either config, with or without the chair. So any mods going forward will take that into consideration.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 07-03-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Very, very nice!

I like your work a lot!

(Is that you in the green DX shirt?) Kimball?

DAN

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    Very, very nice!

I like your work a lot!

(Is that you in the green DX shirt?) Kimball?

DAN
    Sure is, I definitely know your friend!! In college we volunteered to coach youth sports every year, still got lots of those shirts hanging around slated for 'boat work' type projects lol.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 08-07-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Just wanted to again update this thread. The rocket launcher has been through about 4 multi-day trips and has definitely proven it's worth. The only real complaint is that if bumped hard enough it will spin on the pedestal, pretty much no matter how tight you cranked the tensioner it just wasn't robust enough.

Phase II of this project is to add a fighting chair into the mix. The goal is to make the rocket launcher fairly easily removable so when we do tuna only trips with a large group we can pull the chair off and just go with the rocket launcher.

This is my comp up of the arrangement before sending everything off to the welder to build the appropriate brackets.

Please excuse the dirtyness of the chair, been sitting in the garage for a year.

After all the brackets are back, installed and used a few trips, this winter I plan on pulling off all the chair hardware and sending out to be re-chromed.

Last edited by rustybucket; 08-07-2018 at 01:08 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Thanks, very interesting. Looks great.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"