Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

DIY: Rocket Launcher for fighting chair

Been piddling with this project for a couple months now. Finally got some non-rainy weather to make some progress.

The idea is to take an old fighting chair I had in storage with a ladder back, and convert the back into a rocket launcher with rigging station and some tackle storage.

In a perfect world I would have built this out of teak but after searching for teak I decided just to go with a birch plywood and epoxy coating which will be painted.

Some goals
    - as many rod holders as possible
    - as many cup holders as possible
    - as large of a rigging station as possible
    - as much tackle storage as possible
    - look good

First up, I needed to mock something up. With nothing more than a general idea of what size/shape I wanted this thing I needed to mock up on something cheap. So I chose blue foam insulation at home depot. This was approx $13 for a 4x8 sheet.

Cut up a couple of pieces before I got the general shape I was looking for. Traced and cut out discs to use for rod holders and cupholders

Last edited by rustybucket; 04-23-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Re: Rocket Launcher for fighting chair build

After the mocking/comping I decided the rod holders were too close together. 2 choices, go from 6 to 4 rod holders.... or make the entire unit wider.... go big or go home baby!!! The added width makes the entire unit approx 47" wide. I sliced my foam piece up and taped a center section in to make the comp piece wider.

Transferring the design over to the birch plywood for cutting.

Two pieces cut

pieces screwed together temporarily, edges routed. More mocking/comping to make sure everytihng is good.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 02-19-2018 at 10:32 AM.

The tackle tray was cut out and the two pieces were laminated together using a high quality wood glue. Sorry, no pics of the laminating process. Basically squirt tons of glue, screw the two pieces together, clean up huge mess, lol.

After glue was cured time for some epoxy work.

Filling any gaps/holes in the plywood ends.

Very nice !

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Very nice !
    Thanks! Thinking the tackle drawers are going to be starboard and hope to use real teak on the drawer faces.

Got the first coat of fairing on yesterday!

Cupholders have arrived!

Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Yeah, we looked at those, but we use those cupholders to hold heavy weights and other misc stuff sometimes, and the fear was that the rod holder would be counterproductive b/c it would fall down inside the rod holders.

Pic from sanding/fairing.

Just a thought. Why not laminate pvc board or another core material that is rot proof instead of using wood. It's almost the same to shape it and would never rot.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Just a thought. Why not laminate pvc board or another core material that is rot proof instead of using wood. It's almost the same to shape it and would never rot.
    There are multiple core materials that could have been used here. This piece will be fully encapsulated by epoxy and then painted, so it shouldn't rot, even if exposed. But it will be covered at all times when not in use, which should also lend to it not rotting.

I'm not a real big fan of the flexability of the pvc stuff. In this situation I wanted rigid and strength. There will be quite a considerable force put on this thing if an 80w drag is locked down on it while fishing. Plus people leaning/sitting/standing on it (even if they are not supposed to) Weight wasn't all that important for this project.

But to answer the original question. Wood is extremely strong/durable, locally available, cheap ($50 for a 4x8 piece of 3/4" birch), easy to work with, and if properly built/sealed will outlast me. For those reasons I felt it was the best core to use for this project.

Of course, my first plans were to use teak, but availability of quality teak was going to make it difficult to source and cost more than I felt was necessary.