Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Re: Of Shiny Engine Rooms and Wax Job Advice

One other question....What are you using for header paint? VHT White? :?

Re: Of Shiny Engine Rooms and Wax Job Advice

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    Or you can do it the hard way and take everything apart and then paint it

Attachment 25078

So when you are using aircraft stripper do you literally wash it off with a tsp water mix, dump it in the pan then scavenge it up? Or are you wiping it down? I am very curious logistically. I need to go this on our boat as well so I am looking for the details.
    Rinsing off with water. I only used the TSP to wash it all in the end. I put a bunch of old diapers under motors and it caught the stripper and debris pretty well. Wet vac'd out remainder.

Used same paint throughout. In this pic I just took, I'm trying out a bit of Rust Bullet paint to see how it might hold up. Need to go out this weekend, so that should be a good test.

IMG_8953.jpg
    When the fresh paint burned off back in '15, I just painted that area with phosphoric acid and it controlled the urge to rust.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

3. Re: Of Shiny Engine Rooms and Wax Job Advice

Yeah the manifolds are a PITA. I have contemplated taking off the manifolds and having them ceramic coated as a solution. Lots of good coatings out there that can hold up to the heat such as jet hot.

4. Re: Of Shiny Engine Rooms and Wax Job Advice

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Rinsing off with water. I only used the TSP to wash it all in the end. I put a bunch of old diapers under motors and it caught the stripper and debris pretty well. Wet vac'd out remainder.
    How many gallons of stripper did you end up using? Any stripper brand recommendations as well? (No pun intended )

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    How many gallons of stripper did you end up using? Any stripper brand recommendations as well? (No pun intended )
    Msybe a couple of quarts of Aircraft stripper per side. Paint on not spray.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

6. Re: Of Shiny Engine Rooms and Wax Job Advice

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Msybe a couple of quarts of Aircraft stripper per side. Paint on not spray.
    I'm going to go get a gallon right now. I'm really looking forward to this.

Robert, You REALLY know how to make another Hatt owner feel lazy (LOL)! All jealousy aside, you give me aspiration to get started on M/V No Regrets. Been wanting to tackle the ER as well as outside structure for sometime (time off being as you know my work schedule) but, now I have a better schedule to allow me get started w/ 28 days on/28 days off work. I just hauled out for bottom paint job down at Marine Propulsion and got her back to IOP 2 weeks ago. They did a great job and behold, came back under quoted price! Anyhow, when I asked Anthony about DIY Topcoat paint, he mentioned EMC (Engineering Marine Coatings). They're local to Charleston & have a product called Quatum99. Thinking of using this for my DIY project topsides. Not attempting to promote this but, this product requires no tipping after rolling. Going to try it on fly bridge first.
    Would like to visit Aslan if you'll have me over in May to get more 'Inspired'!

BR's,
    James
    53' MY "No Regrets"
    I.O.P, S.C.

James, before you use the Quantam watch the you tube videos called Boat Works Today. He has an episode about that paint. He tested it. Worth your time to watch it. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

If you are going to use aircraft stripper in you engine room or bilges, be sure you have lots of ventilation. Methylene Chloride is deadly in surprisingly low concentrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    If you are going to use aircraft stripper in you engine room or bilges, be sure you have lots of ventilation. Methylene Chloride is deadly in surprisingly low concentrations.
    So that’s what’s wrong. Used a bit today, and got a wake up call. I use the ER blowers and at least one more squirrel cage pulllng air out.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC