Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Of Shiny Engine Rooms and Wax Job Advice

Robert,

Beautiful work...

My transmissions need to look like yours!

What did you use to strip and clean those engines?

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Aircraft stripper then tsp then water.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Couple of more shots. It's not a great feeling to be laying on your back looking up at a couple of tons of Detroit Diesel.

IMG_6342.jpgIMG_6381.jpgIMG_6394.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Been there. Or, something close.

What do you use to get off the rust, that wire brush I saw in one of the photos? A mechanic I know suggested a needle grinder.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

One photo looks like you are being swallowed alive by your forward bilge and these look you are are being digested in the engine room.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Sure can be tight. More than once I was convinced I was stuck; never do this stuff without someone on the boat with you. Nasty job. The absolute worst was the fumes from the paint.

Removing rust: Used the stripper first. Washed off lifted paint with water and repeated. Wire brushes of various sizes used then some more stripper as needed. Painted on phosphoric acid solution each day when done to prevent overnight rust formation and generally treat underlying corrosion in prep for priming. Interesting that I could wash down the engine and watch the rust form before my eyes without the acid.

Finally, washed down with tsp and forced dry with blowers and compressed air. I used block heaters overnight to help the drying the next morning and to quicken the paint work.

The payoff is the compliments from visitors and that a clean engine room is much easier to keep that way.

Been thinking of selling Aslan in favor of a trawler type as wife retires at year's end. But the thought of maybe having to start all over on another boat is, I think, a deal breaker. Never say never, but I took a decent boat and made her into a really fine boat--IMHO. Not sure I would have gotten this far if I had known what I was in for.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post

Been thinking of selling Aslan in favor of a trawler type as wife retires at year's end. But the thought of maybe having to start all over on another boat is, I think, a deal breaker. Never say never, but I took a decent boat and made her into a really fine boat--IMHO.
    Yes you really did!

And you would likely do it again on your next boat. You will.

Thanks for the advice on cleaning and removing the rust.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Robert, I have been waiting for you to mention selling. I would even be willing to become a two boat owner if you are serious. Keep me in the loop.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Robert, I have been waiting for you to mention selling. I would even be willing to become a two boat owner if you are serious. Keep me in the loop.Walt Hoover
    What a nice compliment, thank you. I will.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

10. Re: Of Shiny Engine Rooms and Wax Job Advice

Or you can do it the hard way and take everything apart and then paint it

20180405_162034611_iOS.jpg

So when you are using aircraft stripper do you literally wash it off with a tsp water mix, dump it in the pan then scavenge it up? Or are you wiping it down? I am very curious logistically. I need to go this on our boat as well so I am looking for the details.