Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Of Shiny Engine Rooms and Wax Job Advice

Thank you, sir. Work in progress, labor of love, bored...

Had the boat three years this May. To clean it up, I had to fix it up. Stop the leaks, water (sea and fresh), oil, air, hydraulic, electrical and exhaust. Then there's the wiring. I can't ever remember just doing a job from start to finish. Every action resulted in an unequal opposite reaction. How many people does it take to change a lightbulb in a Hatteras? Really good question.

If had the chance to breed the perfect old Hatt owner, he/she/it would be a double jointed, fast clotting, non-clostrophobic, amphibeous midget with a low-sloping cro-magnon single eyebrow type cranium plus a sizable bank account and an unlimited supply of checks.

IMG_6230.jpg
    Getting there.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

That engine room looks incredible. Good job!

Pay someone to do the buffing. I set out to buff my boat last season and got half way down one hullside before coming to my senses and hiring someone. The money spent on the buffer and compound will make a good dent in what you need to pay a team of 3 people over the course of 3 days to do the job right.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Thank you, sir. Work in progress, labor of love, bored...

Had the boat three years this May. To clean it up, I had to fix it up. Stop the leaks, water (sea and fresh), oil, air, hydraulic, electrical and exhaust. Then there's the wiring. I can't ever remember just doing a job from start to finish. Every action resulted in an unequal opposite reaction. How many people does it take to change a lightbulb in a Hatteras? Really good question.

If had the chance to breed the perfect old Hatt owner, he/she/it would be a double jointed, fast clotting, non-clostrophobic, amphibeous midget with a low-sloping cro-magnon single eyebrow type cranium plus a sizable bank account and an unlimited supply of checks.

Attachment 24546
    Getting there.
    VERY nice. Are you a pilot by any chance? I'm looking at the OCD maintenance cards.... good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    VERY nice. Are you a pilot by any chance? I'm looking at the OCD maintenance cards.... good for you.
    Solod at 14 in gliders.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Amazing!! I am about to start a long term project of detailing my engine room.

1. How did you sand the engines?
    2. All done in boat?
    3. What paint did you use.

I have 8v92s.

Thank you for any help provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonkeeper77 View Post
    Amazing!! I am about to start a long term project of detailing my engine room.

1. How did you sand the engines?
    2. All done in boat?
    3. What paint did you use.

I have 8v92s.

Thank you for any help provided.
    I sandeth not. Stripped, cleaned primed and painted. What's that you say...done?? Was it done when the germans bombed pearl harbor??

Stripping the gears and the reward.
    IMG_6369.jpgIMG_6377.jpg
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 04-03-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

As I used to say back in Alabama, my my sir, those show are some purty gears!
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Nice. I like the blue silicone hoses, too.

The great advantage of a cordless buffer is that when the battery runs down, you get a break. This is far superior to a 120vac buffer, which never runs out of juice, so the rate-limiting step in the whole equation is your endurance. Or your falling off the scaffolding.

I would look at Bosch or Makita, I think, but all mine are AC powered.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Nice. I like the blue silicone hoses, too. The great advantage of a cordless buffer is that when the battery runs down, you get a break. This is far superior to a 120vac buffer, which never runs out of juice, so the rate-limiting step in the whole equation is your endurance. Or your falling off the scaffolding. I would look at Bosch or Makita, I think, but all mine are AC powered.
    Already dropped the polishing compound in the water (twice), a buffing pad spun off like a frisbee and power wound up the cord a couple of times.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Nice engine room, you don't screw around.

I'm a huge DIY guy to the point of taking crap for rehabilitating everything but boat waxing is a multi headed beast. It's not because it's hard to put a quarter sized dollup on your Makita and run it at the prescribed 1800 rpm but because on older boats experience is needed to pick from the hundreds of goop and pad options to get a perfect finish on that particular boat.

If your like me and never say never then I'm currently having the best luck with the Presta system and a corded Makita. The yard guys pretty consistently use 3M but again, there are a hundered choices. I know not of cordless buffers.

I'm Gelcoat but the Presta looks good on my painted hardtop. The best looking finish I ever saw on a painted boat was that old school auto wax in a solvent type can called something glass. It's all powdery and messy but the finish looked like wet glass.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"