Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Of Shiny Engine Rooms and Wax Job Advice

Looks like I've just about put the lid on my off season ER work. Despite my well known sense of humility, I must crow some on the outcome.

Now, I must move one the really difficult task of waxing a 55C. My psychiatrist says I'm all hung-up over the cords--something about my mother. Anyway, he thinks if I cut the cord and go cordless on the buffer I might be able to cope better. Who's got a recommendation on a cordless buffer? I'm not in the business, and I may not do wax the boat again after this season when I re-power (knee replacement), so I don't need a heavy duty unit. And, I figure battery life isn't important as I'll be more than ready for a break when it is.

Lastly, what's the consensus on what product to use on my boat? It's painted; I don't with what, however. As you'd expect, it's got some chalk on the surface.

OK, here are a few shots of a proper 55C engine room, in my humble opinion.

IMG_8830.jpgIMG_8831.jpgIMG_8832.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Of Shiny Engine Rooms and Wax Job Advice

And the last shot.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Not gonna lie, that is a thing of beauty!!!

Where did you pickup the black (rubber?) tiles in the walkway? Been trying to figure out what I could put in my walkway.

Thanks very kindly. Floor came from Lowe’s, 2x4’. Easy on the knees but you will track some black if wet. Not a perfect solution, but nice to not have to grab a pad or go to the knee pads.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

That's one nice engine room!
    Waxing the hull is ,imho, worth paying for.
    Last wax job cost me $800. Well worth it.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Looks really good. What are those index cards? I assume they are maintenance records. Tell me where you got them, I might used them. Looks like you got a relatively new northern lights genny. I just had one put in my boat. How has it been for you? Back in the Great Recession I took of 1 week of work and 2 weekends and had my boat hauled and I rented a man lift and did a compound and wax. I worked my ass off and my results were mediocre at best. I wasn’t happy with my work and have since been happy to let a pro do that.

Ok Robert now that your done with yours you should have the time to fly to California and start on mine. Well done.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    Looks really good. What are those index cards? I assume they are maintenance records. Tell me where you got them, I might used them. Looks like you got a relatively new northern lights genny. I just had one put in my boat. How has it been for you? Back in the Great Recession I took of 1 week of work and 2 weekends and had my boat hauled and I rented a man lift and did a compound and wax. I worked my ass off and my results were mediocre at best. I wasn’t happy with my work and have since been happy to let a pro do that.
    Thank you.

The generator is a NL M844LW2.3 20KW with almost 1,200 hours. It's been perfect so far, but I've done my part in keeping ahead of the maintenance schedule. I'm thinking a smaller unit would have been a better fit. I can trip dock breakers, but have never been able to trip a generator breaker. I'm sure it's underloaded a lot. I've taken to running it a half hour on and two hours off underway to just keep the fridges cold.

The cards are home made using Excel and printing on card stock. For me, they're an easy reminder of what's what. I made them for batteries, engine zincs, strainers, Airseps, HVAC filter service and bottom cleaning and bottom zincs condition.

I did another hang tag to record service on the particular item (following post).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 02-19-2018 at 01:11 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Repair/service tag.
    Attached Files
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Wow. Amazing. Nice job. How long did it take you to get it that nice. Has this been a work in progress for several years? I hope!