Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Of Shiny Engine Rooms and Wax Job Advice

Looks like I've just about put the lid on my off season ER work. Despite my well known sense of humility, I must crow some on the outcome.

Now, I must move one the really difficult task of waxing a 55C. My psychiatrist says I'm all hung-up over the cords--something about my mother. Anyway, he thinks if I cut the cord and go cordless on the buffer I might be able to cope better. Who's got a recommendation on a cordless buffer? I'm not in the business, and I may not do wax the boat again after this season when I re-power (knee replacement), so I don't need a heavy duty unit. And, I figure battery life isn't important as I'll be more than ready for a break when it is.

Lastly, what's the consensus on what product to use on my boat? It's painted; I don't with what, however. As you'd expect, it's got some chalk on the surface.

OK, here are a few shots of a proper 55C engine room, in my humble opinion.

IMG_8830.jpgIMG_8831.jpgIMG_8832.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Of Shiny Engine Rooms and Wax Job Advice

And the last shot.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Not gonna lie, that is a thing of beauty!!!

Where did you pickup the black (rubber?) tiles in the walkway? Been trying to figure out what I could put in my walkway.

Thanks very kindly. Floor came from Lowe’s, 2x4’. Easy on the knees but you will track some black if wet. Not a perfect solution, but nice to not have to grab a pad or go to the knee pads.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

That's one nice engine room!
    Waxing the hull is ,imho, worth paying for.
    Last wax job cost me $800. Well worth it.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Looks really good. What are those index cards? I assume they are maintenance records. Tell me where you got them, I might used them. Looks like you got a relatively new northern lights genny. I just had one put in my boat. How has it been for you? Back in the Great Recession I took of 1 week of work and 2 weekends and had my boat hauled and I rented a man lift and did a compound and wax. I worked my ass off and my results were mediocre at best. I wasn’t happy with my work and have since been happy to let a pro do that.