Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 3 Position Rotary Switch p/n etc?

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post

Thanks for the feedback! I'll take a look ASAP.

I don't think i have any input breakers in the engine room. I have one source sub panel under the seat at the help and two in the engine room. The feed breakers are all in the main panel that I showed pictures of, although i will double check. I'll post some pics of them in case others with a 61MY have this issue.

One thing I am unclear on though is how the shorelines would be working with Source 1 if there is an isolation transformer issue. Perhaps there is one isolation transformer for each Source. Easy enough to check though!
    I would be very surprised if you didn't have a 50A breaker at the point your shore power enters your boat. As they age, they get weaker.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

2. Re: 3 Position Rotary Switch p/n etc?

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I would be very surprised if you didn't have a 50A breaker at the point your shore power enters your boat. As they age, they get weaker.
    Right. That is not the case. Sorry I wasn't clear. The path looks like this:

Hubbel "Source" connector -> two 50 Amp slow burn fuses -> Interior Distributon Panel -> 50Amp (220v) Breaker -> Rotary switch -> triple load panels -> Triple 70amp Breaker (with neutral as well) -> Sub Panels in Engine room and under pilot house (no input breaker IIRC)

Each source has its own isolation transformer. Get out your wiring schematics and look at what is on there. You should also have breakers on Source 2 for the 120v 50a inlet that is under the two 240v inlets on each side of the boat. Those breakers are somewhere. Mine are in the stbd engine room. I'm not sure where they are located on a 61.

You may want to pull the cover on the transformers and check the input and output voltages there (primary and secondary).

Test across terminals X1 and X2 and compare to voltage across H1 and H2.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 02-20-2018 at 10:02 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

4. Re: 3 Position Rotary Switch p/n etc?

Well all said and done it was the breaker in the generator compartment isolator panel where there are two 50amp breakers that were popped. I am very relieved that it wasn't rotary switch!

Well all said and done it was the breaker in the generator compartment isolator panel where there are two 50amp breakers that were popped. I am very relieved that it wasn't rotary switch!
    That's good news. Be aware that when those breakers start load tripping, they'll likely do it again and again especially if they are original. It was a bitch finding the right ones for my boat.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

6. Re: 3 Position Rotary Switch p/n etc?

That's good news. Be aware that when those breakers start load tripping, they'll likely do it again and again especially if they are original. It was a bitch finding the right ones for my boat.
    I hear you. I would expect the slow burn fuses to go first. On source 1 they did. It seems that on our boat source 1 may not be on the isolation transformer!? On the other hand I had a ton of load. 4 A/C units and 3 space heaters and was not paying attention. I also am reasonably sure that I have a bad compressor on the master A/C which was pulling ridiculous amounts of load on ships service 3. It was avoidable.

Where did you source the breakers from? I may get a spare or two!

You'll need to get the numbers off what you've got. No one had mine, but I found one on E-bay.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

8. Re: 3 Position Rotary Switch p/n etc?

You'll need to get the numbers off what you've got. No one had mine, but I found one on E-bay.
    Do you know if they are common with the other 50 amp panels?

Check this out:

http://www.airpax.net/pdfs/209.pdf

My main panel had a P/N of "50-50-2-63-1" which is how I found it.

20180219_234643119_iOS.jpg

Don’t forget to ask Sams. If they don’t have them they can help direct you. You’re lucky.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks for the feedback! I'll take a look ASAP.

I don't think i have any input breakers in the engine room. I have one source sub panel under the seat at the help and two in the engine room. The feed breakers are all in the main panel that I showed pictures of, although i will double check. I'll post some pics of them in case others with a 61MY have this issue.One thing I am unclear on though is how the shorelines would be working with Source 1 if there is an isolation transformer issue. Perhaps there is one isolation transformer for each Source. Easy enough to check though!
    Do you know if they are common with the other 50 amp panels?Check this out:http://www.airpax.net/pdfs/209.pdfMy main panel had a P/N of "50-50-2-63-1" which is how I found it.Attachment 24611
    Not the same. Given age of our boats, lots of opportunities to modify. Google pn and see what you get.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC