Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. 3 Position Rotary Switch p/n etc?

I am having some shore power issues and I think it's the rotary. I had a high load dock power issue last night (3 ac units + block heaters etc) and popped short power. Only problem was that there was still power at the panel via the indicator and the 220volt light, but no pass through to the sources. The Generator position on the Rotary seems to work fine.

I am fairly certain its the rotary switch. Anyone have a part number for this 3 position switch ( I assume that is what it is?). I assume its a Krause Naimer like most Hatteras boats, but figured I would ask and post up about it.

20180217_202742655_iOS.jpg

Re: 3 Position Rotary Switch p/n etc?

Those are not cheap. You had better make sure that is your problem before you buy a new one.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

These switches have stacked contact modules that can be removed and replace. On some the contacts are visible. If one or more contacts are burned or damaged you should be able to see it. I have a couple I removed when I installed the new breaker panels if you need parts.

I have a 50 amp takeout I posted a while back.

I'll look for it in the shop. I'm pretty sure I didn't sell it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

5. Re: 3 Position Rotary Switch p/n etc?

I’m going to take a closer look at it tommorrow and if it’s burnt I’ll post pics. Once I get the panel out some quick continuity checks should find the problem. It’s also possible it’s the breaker. Also I assume this switch is 100amp though as it’s a 20kw genset.

Take a look at the fuses first, if the 53 is like the 58 YF the may be in the engine room.

7. Re: 3 Position Rotary Switch p/n etc?

I took a closer look today. Here is what I tried and found:

1) Replaced 50Amp slow burn fuses next to 50Amp inlet. No luck
    2) Checked Source 2 shoreline B. Same situation where there is power light and 220volt but no passthrough.
    3) Pulled panel and checked source 2 50Amp breaker for shoreline a and it had continuity.
    4) checked the C105 A212 switch for continuity through both positions on all three terminals and there was continuity.

I am a bit stumped now. Because both shorelines are affected I am somewhat convinced its not the 50amp shore breakers. However because it looks like there is continuity across the Krause switch it seems like that is not the problem, but it has to be!?

20180220_000807444_iOS.jpg20180219_234653373_iOS.jpg20180219_234632677_iOS.jpg

Also its definitely a 100Amp rotary switch and not a 50Amp.

8. Re: 3 Position Rotary Switch p/n etc?

I just did some research and it looks like the C80 A212 maybe the updated part for the rotary. The c105 is no longer made. I’ll need to research a bit more.

If gen power okay and not with shore power, what about the isolation transformer? Then gen power does not go through the transformer.

Also, do you have the breakers in the Engine room to run 120v 50a inlet power? It may be at one of those breakers which switches the taps on the isolation transformer.

My boat is a 1985. I like the setup on my friends 1978 as he has indicator for voltage for transform in and transformer out. Mine does not. The volt gauge at the main panel only shows voltage coming in from shore.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 02-19-2018 at 10:30 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

10. Re: 3 Position Rotary Switch p/n etc?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    If gen power okay and not with shore power, what about the isolation transformer? Then gen power does not go through the transformer.

Also, do you have the breakers in the Engine room to run 120v 50a inlet power? It may be at one of those breakers which switches the taps on the isolation transformer.

My boat is a 1985. I like the setup on my friends 1978 as he has indicator for voltage for transform in and transformer out. Mine does not. The volt gauge at the main panel only shows voltage coming in from shore.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll take a look ASAP.

I don't think i have any input breakers in the engine room. I have one source sub panel under the seat at the help and two in the engine room. The feed breakers are all in the main panel that I showed pictures of, although i will double check. I'll post some pics of them in case others with a 61MY have this issue.

One thing I am unclear on though is how the shorelines would be working with Source 1 if there is an isolation transformer issue. Perhaps there is one isolation transformer for each Source. Easy enough to check though!
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 02-20-2018 at 12:03 PM.