Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

unbelievable 55c problem

I always try to include my 17yo son in the tasks around the boat, this time ended up with a major issue. The starboard ending room float switch needed replaced. For whatever reason, in all his brilliance he decided to screw the 1" screw "all the way in" without the switch in place, result? Influx of water. I drilled out the hole to the size of the smallest plug I have and tapped it in. I have looked through the entire manual trying to figure out if that area was less than an 1" thick that a screw could break through the gel. I can't find anything that indicates something else with water in it would be down there either.

HELP

Re: unbelievable 55c problem

An inch of solid fiberglass is pretty dang thick! I would think he penetrated the hull vs something else that would account for the water. Sounds like you've done all you can do prior to making a permanent repair next time the boat is hauled. Then again, maybe a screw with some waterproof sealant would be better than a plug. Maybe screwing a plate over top of a flush plug (with short screws and sealant) would help you sleep better.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

--- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Avenger is right, take the screw out and cover it with 5200 and put it right back in....
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

If the location is above the keel you may find it's full of water, foam filled but often with water ingress, and would give you some water. Otherwise I'm guessing 1" would probably be just about enough!
    Not the worst problem you could have. 5200 and a self tapper from the outside maybe, just until next haul. Plenty of bolts go through the hull, just one more until a repair can be made.

Quote Originally Posted by hoop1013 View Post
    Avenger is right, take the screw out and cover it with 5200 and put it right back in....
    He removed the screw and inserted a plug.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

What size plug did you use or size of the bit? I read it too fast and thought you ran a tap in the hole and threaded it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by hoop1013 View Post
    This will fix it. Dont make the hole bigger. 5200 is made to set up in water

You can get a small tube of epoxy in the plumbing department that is like splash zone compound. I would have fasten the pump down with a stainless sheet metal screw with epoxy on the threads

Perfect time to try that new underwater\waterproof tape that’s advertised on TV.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California