Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NY Registration Stickers

Coming from a New York lawyer, this may be a silly question but here goes. I have just registered my new boat in NY, paid the almost 20K in sales tax, and received my registration and two bright blue stickers. The boat is also going to be documented. With my pretty fighting yellow lady hull, blacked out side windows and bright white superstructure looking quite nice, I have no desire to stick these bright blue stickers on any part of the boat. I know having done it all legit, I am not in fear of a real problem if I do not show off my stickers, or heaven forbid, registration numbers but with that said, and the statute aside, is there any compelling reason for me to slap on these blue stickers? The Coasties probably don't care and with the the County police rarely stop anyone.

Re: NY Registration Stickers

In Florida we have only the little square sticker and I put mine in a corner of a window inside where it's not seen from outside and don't care what they say.

11 years no problems.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks.

In Ct we are only required to display the state sticker. (4x4 ish). And not the registration numbers if it documented. I have gotten pulled over before for not putting on the new sticker
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Got tired of being harassed by the NJSP marine patrol. Put the NJ sticker on the front lower corner of the salon window, on the glass, not the black part.
    Last year the NJ tax people went house to house looking at people's boats, behind their homes for out of state registrations, just walked onto people's properties, it was during the week so most homes were empty.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Right, no reg. numbers on documented boats but you have to display the tax sticker. I put mine in the lower front corner of the salon windows and have never had an issue.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Right, Bottom forward corners of side window no numbers on the hull for documented vessels. It is
    also required that the vessel name and hailing port be displayed on the stern. If the boat has a commercial
    document then the vessel name must also be displayed on the forward port and starboard sides of the
    bow. Since you will probably not be an "inspected vessel" the name on the bow is not required.

The only reason for the small decal from the various states is for state officials to be able to tell that any
    fees and taxes have been paid. Remember the old adage... you cannot escape death and taxes...

Walt

Federal regs probibits displaying state numbers but you have to display the tax sticker, usually on a window as mentioned above.

If you dont have it, state or local authorities will stop you and could write you up. Not worth it
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Yeah, yeah, yeah -I get it. Blue stickers going on today.

Does it clearly state it has to be on the outside of the window?

🤡
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.