Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Foam coming out of fresh water vents

I always add about 3/4 cup of household bleach when we fill fresh water tanks. 300 gallons is the water capacity. Sometimes white foam bubbles out of the vents as the approach full. Anything to be concerned with? We do drink the stuff daily after 2 levels of charcoal filters.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Re: Foam coming out of fresh water vents

I noticed this also with the "new" no splash bleach and no we do not drink it .....Pat

We have now and have had on previous boats the charcoal filters. In addition, i have a SeaGull water filter (that removes bacteria and viruses) through its own separate tap in the galley for drinking water, cooking and another line to the ice maker.

Short of reverse osmosis, the water coming from the SeaGull is about as clean as you can get.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Use Liquid Pool shock, has no perfumes and is true chlorine bleach, not hydrogen peroxide.

Chlorine is not good. Pool chlorine is just higher a concentration. No splash has been thickened with an additive to increase viscosity. Usually a soap.

Bleach is caustic, causes eye irritation, gastric burns, is corrosive to metals in high concentration or long exposure. Its not necessary unless you have a contamination in your water tank.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thank you good to know, i will not use it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    I noticed this also with the "new" no splash bleach and no we do not drink it .....Pat
    What about the ice?
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Ingesting chlorine bleach in any form is not a good idea.

we actually have a seagull filter on the icemaker line, but most of the time we buy ice for cocktails anyway and buy cases of drinking water. What 20-50 year old water tank is not contaminated?? Chlorine is fine as long as not too concentrated, hell every municipal water supply is chlorinated. Our boat water is straight well water and smells like rotten eggs even after I run it thru a softener and charcoal filter. .....Pat

Since city water is already chlorinated you don't need to add any on a routine basis unless you have a problem and need to treat the tanks

A good central charcoal filter plus a UV light if you re going to drive knit or make ice is all you need
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat