Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: chemical to clean bronze oxide?

Most aluminum has an anodized finish which is not very cleanable. It is like a plating, but not as durable as, say, chrome. If you use the salt and vinegar it will cut right through the anodizing, exposing the raw aluminum. This will oxidize rapidly . Probably you should just replace the parts, or clean and paint them.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 03-31-2006 at 04:48 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

For bronze use toilet bowl cleaner and brush it on with a paintbrush, keep it wet until corrosion is gone and then flush with water. I use Sno-Bol toilet bowl cleaner that also will remove brown stains from your hull and rust stains. Keep it away from your stainless because it will make the surface porous and create the small crevices that allow corrosion. The only way to clean stainless is with polishing.

For anodized aluminum don't use chemicals, scrub it with bronze wool that you can get at most boat supply stores, hardware stores or even supermarkets. The bronze wool is softer than the anodizing on your aluminum but harder than the white crusty aluminum corrosion. It will remove the corrosion and polish the anodizing that is still intact. Bronze wool will not rust and leave orange stains either.

This might sound stupid but I think I remember my Dad using coca-cola and a toothbrush to get the bronze cleaned up. Must be a fresh can. I could be wrong. Its been awhile since I cleaned em up.

For Al use a green scotch brite and a water rinse to clean up the surfaces. Once clean, follow with a white scotch brite using alcohol, and rinse and dry using the alcohol. The net effect is the alcohol aids the clean Al in forming a thin Al oxide of about 20 ang. The good news is you can repeat the process many times over when ever the corrosion reappears. However, do not use water in any portion of the final cleaning step, water and Al creates a hydroxide and prevents a protective oxide from forming. This is a simple process that works....it is used in a number of hi-tech industries for processing chambers that are exposed to highly corrosive liquids and gases.

What kind of alcohol do you use? Denatured, Iso, Methanol? Thanks, Ron

We used to use coca-cola in Boot Camp to clean the heads and showers. Just pour it on and it does all of the work for you.

Warm the 5200 up carefully with a heat gun...it will weaken enough to come off.

HF acid will etch glass and the fumes are deadly. Do not use this acid, period unless you are working with gloves in a lab hood.

Bronze is a tin/copper alloy. The oxidation is one or a combination of those salts and oxides. Products that clean copper and/or tin are bound to help.

Ted

Didn't really get anywhere with the vinegar/salt mixture.

Toilet bowl cleaner...bingo, BUT it eats everything, including carpet. Just the slightest drop on the carpet and it melted it like crazy until I got some water on it to dilute it. Good thing I am planning to rip the carpet out anyway (it was aleady a mess). I'm not sure I want that stuff coming into contact with any of my hoses, though.

Well, I've got one clean strainer. I'd like to find a safer method that is still effective. Is there such a thing?

Ang

I am in danger of learning something here. Green and white Scotchbright? I assume the different colors reflect different courseness? I have a bunch of brown (donated) and notice that it can scratch stuff easily. Please provide some insight.
    Gary

You are correct different colors reflect different courseness, green is more course than white.