Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 6v92ta turbo oil leak

Dont do my mistake, I rebuilt two turbos on one engine because one was smoking in the engine room when hot. After the rebuild I noted the same smoking again with oil again. It turned out that the NAIAD stabilizer located above that turbo was dripping oil.

I spent close to 2500 USD for turbos rebuilt and labor, and the fix came from 1/2 turn of an oil line fitting of the stabilizer using a 2 USD wrench. So take the boat out for a hard run, and YOU go down to the engine room and know for sure where your leak is. I had the mechanic being in the engine room 3 times while I was driving, and still he did not pay attention to the leaky stabilizer.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

2. Re: 6v92ta turbo oil leak

You need a new mechanic!

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    You’re right, I was speaking of the 8V71TI’s sorry.
    Same turbos
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Derek is the expert and has taken care of many of us!
    Contact "Avenger" or pm me

A.research T04Blankets are dry, plan to poke around and see what I can find loose or pinpoint the leak. Appears to be at the main bearing.

Test Calibration in Mobile, AL can fix it cheaper than anywhere else

Ok, so the leak stopped. I wrapped the exhaust in aluminum foil after cleaning all the oil off to be certain and no more oil spray. I think tightening the bolts to the oil uptake tube did the trick. One side had almost a half turn in it. Gonna keep an eye on it, I inspect the engines before and after and during every trip offshore. The rebuilds are $1400 @ FDDA Orlando. But it looks like it was just a leaky seal.