Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pricing on exhaust blankets

I contacted MMX for quotes on exhaust blankets and am choking a bit on what I heard. Can someone tell me if I am being unrealistic? I've been quoted $850 each for the exhaust riser (4 total on a pair of 6v92ta engines) and $850 more for each of the 4 pieces that comprise the outlet exhaust sweep pipe cover, plus another $135 each for the 4 turbo blankets. $7350 seems a bit over the top to me. What are you guys seeing these going for?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: Pricing on exhaust blankets

Someone posted on here on boat diesel about buying some off eBay for the turbos for $35 or so each. I found some in that range but trying to find out which ones fit my 12V71 Covingtons. I re-did the wire on mine last night and found a couple of the turbo ones needed replacing. would replace them all if I could get each piece at this price range

Did you try these guys:

http://www.mesamarine.com/
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I got mine from Marine Exhaust Systems down in Florida. I paid way less than 7000 for all new blankets on my 871 TI's

http://www.marine-exhaust.com
    Last edited by pdog; 03-02-2018 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Add Website Link
    Jason
    Orange Beach, AL
    1984 46C

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Someone posted on here on boat diesel about buying some off eBay for the turbos for $35 or so each. I found some in that range but trying to find out which ones fit my 12V71 Covingtons. I re-did the wire on mine last night and found a couple of the turbo ones needed replacing. would replace them all if I could get each piece at this price range
    T6 is the size.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I'm using a small Miami company to replace exhaust elbow (hard coat type). USA marine exhaust. They were significantly less costly than the bigger guys mentioned earlier in this thread.I will offer a full assessment once it's installed.

Here is an alternative that may work for you, it works on my 12v 71 N exhaust connection from the manifold to the main discharge before it gets to the shower head.

Local plumbing supplier has soldering blankets, fairly light and can be connected together to prevent fires when doing piping repairs in buildings, another source is a welding supply shop for welding blankets which can be cut to size to suit. Pre made, specially manufactured stuff usually is premium cost, many less cost alternatives are just as effective, maybe not as pretty.

8. Re: Pricing on exhaust blankets

Welding blankets cut to fit! They aren't made to insulate 900 deg. exhaust systems. Simply unbelievable!

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    Here is an alternative that may work for you, it works on my 12v 71 N exhaust connection from the manifold to the main discharge before it gets to the shower head.

Local plumbing supplier has soldering blankets, fairly light and can be connected together to prevent fires when doing piping repairs in buildings, another source is a welding supply shop for welding blankets which can be cut to size to suit. Pre made, specially manufactured stuff usually is premium cost, many less cost alternatives are just as effective, maybe not as pretty.
    Your insurance company loves you. You pay the premium and they assume no liability.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Why the surprise over the "suggestion".

Only one thing matters. Saving money.

I have some 121.5/243 MHz EPIRBs for sale cheap
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.