Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

6v92ta turbo oil leak

There’s a little oil leaking out of the main seal on one of the turbos and I’m wondering how urgent it is. Just a bit of seepage. No engine smoke.

Last edited by CaptainRoberts; 02-14-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Re: 6v92ta turbo oil leak

Oil seepage on a turbo is no joke. That’s how fires are started.

3. Re: 6v92ta turbo oil leak

Turbos don't have small oil leaks.

That's dangerous.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

OK, so I'm gathering that it's time for new/rebuilt turbos. There's some light seepage from two others as well, but nothing like this one. I was thinking it might be temporary blow by from running WOT tests, but didn't even consider them catching fire. Fires in water are no fun and this boat has soo much wood it would be like a burning tire dump.

Also I suppose time to reup the insurance and make sure it covers engine fires.

Glad I asked, I know these detroits are known for leaks, but not sure which leaks are important and which ones don't make a difference.

Is there any big advantages between a rebuilt / new or send out for rebuild?

Not sure you will be able to buy new. A buddy just bought four from two different locations and was told those where the last ones. Hopefully he’s wrong but call Detroit and keep us in the look.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Those little T4 A/R turbos are readily available. No problem there.

I would take them to a turbo shop and see what they need. Rebuild will be cheaper than new.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 02-14-2018 at 11:26 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Pretty sure those turbos are available for ~675 at detroitdieselpartsdirect.com or dieselpro.com. As for the seepage, can you remove the blanket and get everything nice and clean? Check bolt torques and run an hour and have a look. You just don’t want oil running down and smoldering under those blankets.

You’re right, I was speaking of the 8V71TI’s sorry.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Before you take apart the turbos, do yourself a favor and take of the blankets, clean the turbos well and check the oil delivering hoses. They tend to cook themselves and become britle. Also check the nuts that hold the oil hoses in place, both the intake and the exit Good luck and I hope this helped you.