Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 52 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Have you considered a 53 Yacht Fish
    Hi Pete,

No, we really haven't. Many of the Yacht Fish models seem to be run more like fishing boats (flat out for extended distances) rather than hull-speed cruising. Tends to dramatically shorten the life span, from what we've read.

Yachtfish is a deceiving term for these boats by todays standards. A Yachtfish like the 53 or 58 are literally a Motor Yacht with a cockpit, they could also be called a Cockpit Motor Yacht just like the 52 that you are writing about.

I have a lot of time on a 52 Cockpit Motor Yacht with twin 3406 Cats and the engine room is pretty spacious for this style boat. I am 5'7" and can just barely stand up fully in the centerline and I am able to access all sides of the engines with relative ease. The 3406 Cats in this boat really move it and fuel economy at the speeds you are talking about is incredible. I believe we idle at 7 knots.
    Nightingale - 1984 Hatteras 56 Motor Yacht

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
    Yachtfish is a deceiving term for these boats by todays standards. A Yachtfish like the 53 or 58 are literally a Motor Yacht with a cockpit, they could also be called a Cockpit Motor Yacht just like the 52 that you are writing about.

I have a lot of time on a 52 Cockpit Motor Yacht with twin 3406 Cats and the engine room is pretty spacious for this style boat. I am 5'7" and can just barely stand up fully in the centerline and I am able to access all sides of the engines with relative ease. The 3406 Cats in this boat really move it and fuel economy at the speeds you are talking about is incredible. I believe we idle at 7 knots.
    Good to know, Nightingale. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post

The hull of the 52 is much different from the 53/58. The 52 is more of a deep V and has lift rails. It is squirrely in tight quarters. The bow will fall off in a blow where the 53 tends to track straight with the keel and semi-displacement hull.

The 52 is much faster and meant to run on plane. The 53/58 will be slower and runs well at hull speed and will probably have stabilizers.

These are two very different boats.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The hull of the 52 is much different from the 53/58. The 52 is more of a deep V and has lift rails. It is squirrely in tight quarters. The bow will fall off in a blow where the 53 tends to track straight with the keel and semi-displacement hull.

The 52 is much faster and meant to run on plane. The 53/58 will be slower and runs well at hull speed and will probably have stabilizers.

These are two very different boats.
    That's a really good point and a useful analysis, Skycheney. Thanks. Since we tend to run at displacement speeds, it's sounding like a 52 isn't the boat for us.