Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

52 Cockpit Motor Yacht

We've been searching, looking at photos, looking at floor plan layouts. We're getting closer. Seems like we're moving toward the 52 Cockpit Motor Yacht. The cockpit satisfies our big requirement of being able to step from the dinghy or floating dock onto the swim platform, into a cockpit and maybe a couple of steps up to the aft deck without needing big steps from a dock or climbing a ladder. It also has the overall elbow room of an aft cabin, which is important to us.

Anyone have one and willing to comment on it, advantages and drawbacks? Anyone know anything interesting about the history of that model, the design, etc?

It appears engine room access is gained by lifting the stairs that go from the salon down to the galley/dinette. Is this true? And then what, there are a couple of additional steps into the engine room? Is it stand up height (I'm 5' 10") or close to it?

Thanks for any details.

John

Re: 52 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Not stand up for sure.

More like 4 foot
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    More like 4 foot
    Sounds like the engine room is a tight fit.

John, have you looked at the 58 yacht fish, or the 53 yacht Fish? Seems like it would check a lot of your boxes and has walk around and stand up engine rooms. Also three staterooms and three heads. We love ours.

I'm pretty sure the 52 cockpit MY engine room is plenty high enough to walk around in. My 1982 48
    MY has an engine room that most folks can stand in. I'm 6'6" and all I need to do is kind of stoop over
    a bit and it works fine. It is defiantly not a hands and knees situation. I think there may be some
    pictures in the brochures section of this forum. Check out the ER's in the Series 2 48 MY and the 52
    cockpit MY (same as 48 with a cockpit). I believe the early 2000's 50' sundeck is also the same basic
    boat. IMO the 52 cockpit MY is a very practical design that most of us would enjoy. Go aboard one,
    then decide for yourself.

Walt

I have worked on a 52cmy many times. The ER is tight. You cannot stand up completely in the center. Personally, I really don't like that model.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    I'm pretty sure the 52 cockpit MY engine room is plenty high enough to walk around in. My 1982 48
    MY has an engine room that most folks can stand in. I'm 6'6" and all I need to do is kind of stoop over
    a bit and it works fine. It is defiantly not a hands and knees situation. I think there may be some
    pictures in the brochures section of this forum. Check out the ER's in the Series 2 48 MY and the 52
    cockpit MY (same as 48 with a cockpit). I believe the early 2000's 50' sundeck is also the same basic
    boat. IMO the 52 cockpit MY is a very practical design that most of us would enjoy. Go aboard one,
    then decide for yourself.

Walt
    Walt, you own a Series I 48MY and the 52CMY is based off the SeriesII 48MY.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014