Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Safety Certifications & Registrations - Required by law or just good to have?

Update
    Going to replace the Epirb

Going to keep the liferraft uncertified. BUT going rent a fully compliant raft for the few weeks per year we are in the Bahamas.

Re: Safety Certifications & Registrations - Required by law or just good to have?

Remember when we woukd have gone 100 miles offshore fishing in old wooden boats without an epirb, raft or DSC radio?

As much as I'd like to deny it I did things like that 40 years ago.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Remember when we woukd have gone 100 miles offshore fishing in old wooden boats without an epirb, raft or DSC radior.
    I do remember taking my 1963, 31' wooden lapstrake "Pembroke". With a single engine 30 miles off Montauk to go fishing. No gps - heck not even a Loran back then. Compass and a stopwatch Was all I had for navigation.. My high tech item was an ancient depth chart plotter that drew the bottom contour on a roll of thermal paper.

Remember those?
    Last edited by Passages; 02-16-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Don’t forget the radio direction finder, great piece of nav equipment. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I remember carving a piece of charcoal because I couldnt find a replacement for the paper chart plotter

I had 2 RDF units years ago. bakelite top that was rotated to the beacon. Cool thing in those days.

I did once run up to fire Island on dead reconning and ask people in the surf where the inlet was once. We were about 2 miles off after a 100 plus mile round trip with nothing but a compass.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Did ya'll boat uphill both ways in the relentless snow, too?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381