Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Indicator Light- 12v or 120v?

Pete- the new light has color coded leads but the old one did not.

Black is hot.
    White is neutral
    Green is ground.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Again as I read the problem, the new light fixture has the color coded leads as Scott described. The unknown is the existing wires that connected to the failed light has two leads, both the same color. What you are seeking is the process to use in choosing which of the two existing wires go to the new color coded leads. And you want to do this without an operational generator.

First, it would be very helpful to see what you have. Do you have a link to the new light fixture? How about a picture of the failed light?

We probably can work through this using a multimeter but I will not get into that until I hear back on the links and pictures which would make it much easier.

Pete

Neutral and ground are common so if there's no resistance to ground it's your neutral. The other is hot.

If your not sure have someone help. 120 volts can start a fire even on a small line.

Also is there a fuse. It has to be sized correctly. If you went to led there may be a need to change to a smaller fuse.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Here is a link to the 1/4" green LED that I am hoping will fit the hole. I can confirm that the old one was a red LED and was 120 volts.
    Rather than adding more confusion to the mix, perhaps I can restate what I know and what I do not know.
    First, I know I am dealing with a 120v LED replacement. Second, I am hoping I am dealing with a 1/4" size. That will be determined. What I do NOT know is how to identify the old leads going to the NEW light. They are not color coded nor are they labeled in a way to tell which is positive and which is negative. So, unless and until I fire up my genset and thus trigger the feed to the new light, I cannot put a meter on it to identify which is the hot lead going to the new light and which is the negative.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/PANELTR...jqeniramsegdoh

I have a suggested plan to analyze your situation, but first and most important is that only someone knowledgeable and comfortable with household electricity should do this. No one should accidentally get across a 120 volts, it can kill you and definitely will at least give a shock not soon forgotten. So, please, if you choose to use the analysis technique I describe, make sure that only someone who knows how to do it safely, actually does it.

Now that your new Paneltronics 120 volts AC LED is in the hands of the experienced person, simply find an outlet in your house, the kitchen would definitely be the best choice, as these outlets will be high enough to work comfortably and also will be on a ground fault circuit for safety. As you look at the outlet, there will be a round hole at the 12 o'clock position, and two slotted openings at the 4 and 8 o'clock positions. The 12 o'clock position is the safety ground, which we will not be using. The 4 o'clock slot is the neutral, and the 8 o'clock is hot line. The ends of the LED should be stripped to bare wire, if not remove about 1/4" of insulation from the end of each wire. Now place one wire in the slot in the 4 o'clock position. With the first wire in the 4 o'clock slot carefully slide the other wire into the 8 o'clock slot. The LED should illuminate. If that happens, remove the 8 o'clock wire first followed by the 4 o'clock wire. Now repeat the same process, reversing the positions of the LED wires. The LED should once again illuminate. Now remove 8 o'clock wire from the outlet slot followed by the 4 o'clock wire.

If the LED illuminates in both cases, you have proved that it is non polarized and can be installed on the boat without regard for which of the two existing wires goes to which LED wires.

If the LED does not illuminate in both wiring positions, feedback what happened.

Safety first, second, and third.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 02-14-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Pete - I thought if I hooked it wrong, it would damage the light rather than the light just not working. If that is the case, why don't I just wire up the light -- if it works, great, if not just reverse the leads?

Funny - the new light differs from the link picture. It has a black and a white lead, not a yellow and red. Also, there appears to be a resistor wired into the black lead.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    Funny - the new light differs from the link picture. It has a black and a white lead, not a yellow and red. Also, there appears to be a resistor wired into the black lead.
    Black is hot. White is neutral (common to ground)
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

What are the colors of the two wires that come out of the existing failed indicator light?

Pete