Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Indicator Light- 12v or 120v?

Okay, I know this sounds easy but not for me. On my non- Hatteras, I have three small red indicator lights on the bridge that light up when the bilge pumps run. Sounds easy. I have a fourth red light that is supposed to light up when the genset is running. But, one of the wires corroded off from the base of the light. I want to replace it now while the boat is laid up including the genset. Assuming that there are no markings on the light itself, is there any way to tell whether it is 12v or 120v short of waiting until I recommission the genset? The two wires going to it are identical in color. My guess would be 12v because it is on the bridge even though it is supposed to light when the genset is running. Also, the wires coming from it are very thin, maybe 22 gauge. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Indicator Light- 12v or 120v?

Hard to say from the facts presented. I doubt they would bring 120vac up to the FB for an indicator light. If you can get the lens off the light, you may be able to remove the bulb and read it?
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

I just replaced 2 of the bilge pump lights on my customers 50 ocean. They are 24 volt.

The genny one was fine so I don't know but if I get by there I'll try to remember to look at it. It may be on a dc circuit like the hour meter that is 24 volt too.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If you can remove the bulb and cannot see anything written on it just get a volt meter put the pos lead in the socket on the center of the bottom of the socket and the black lead on the side of the socket turn on circuit read voltage. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I just replaced 2 of the bilge pump lights on my customers 50 ocean. They are 24 volt.

The genny one was fine so I don't know but if I get by there I'll try to remember to look at it. It may be on a dc circuit like the hour meter that is 24 volt too.
    Scott - was the rest of the boat 24 volt or 12 volt? Also, did you use a regular Blue Sea replacement? I have a few of those and hope to see today if they fit but to my eye, they look awfully small. Thanks for the help.

I used 24 volt led indicator lights. 1/4 inch I believe.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Thank you.

I found out the indicator is 120v. Unfortunately, it is a little larger than the Blue Sea replacement(s) I already bought. So, I am hoping it is the 1/4" size I now have on order. Also, without color coding on the wires going to the old bulb, as opposed to the wires coming with the new bulb, it looks like I will need to wait until I recommission the genset to be able to properly wire up the new indicator.

120 volt led or incandescent?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

If I am reading the posts correctly and the light is connected to AC line voltage, the wiring does not have a polarity. Just wire the new leads, one each, to the two existing wires.

Pete