Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Indicator Light- 12v or 120v?

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    No. the breaker was labeled fly bridge outlets as I recall. Also, needless to say, the light is on whenever the boat is plugged in or when the genset is running because it is lit now when the boat is plugged in. The light that I removed was definitely 120 volts as is the new one I installed.
    Sounds like someone that didn't know what they were doing used the wrong wire colors when they added this light. They hooked it to the outlets to show when AC was present and then labeled it "generator".

Or.......if its OEM, then all I can say is you shoulda bought another Hatteras.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Well, it's a little bit of both. In fairness, it is labeled "120 volt" not genset. I did not know that it would also light on dockside power until I hooked it up. But, it does appear to be OEM. As I mentioned on prior posts, it certainly is not a Hatteras.

I have a pen shaped voltage tester that only lights up with AC not DC. No circuit required, if there is live AC even low voltage AC it will light up.

I just wave it near something I am going to work with and I immediately know if there is live AC nearby. Agree with Scott, I do not like working with live wires even DC.

You can buy these testers anywhere.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Scott's post #28 is important. The purpose of circuit breakers/fuses is to protect downstream wiring and equipment. The breaker/fuse should not exceed the lowest ampere rating of any single hard wired attached device or the wiring. From the description of the circuit it reads like the wiring to the indicator light is very small gauge but attached to a 20 amp convenience outlet circuit. If so, the wires to the indicator light really needs a 1 or 2 amp fuse in the line where it attaches to the feed voltage. As is you have a fire safety exposure, regardless of who installed the light.

Pete