Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Updating fuel delivery system

I am replacing the copper fuel lines throughout the boat, going to coast guard approved rubber with double T-bolt clamps. I am using all brass fittings but I'm a little stuck with options for replacing the manifold that branches to each Racor. The manifold in place now has the fuel line feed into the side of it with the two outlets on top.
    My question is how does the fuel get from the tank to filters, is it gravity fed or does the fuel pump pull it? I have struggled to find a manifold like the one onboard but found one with the inlet on the bottom/top (depending on how installed) and would like to utilize them if they'll work.

Re: Updating fuel delivery system

The fuel pump pulls it from the tank. You mention rubber hose and your photo shows black hose with screw clamps. You should consider using Aeroquip FC234 AQP High Temperature Fuel & Oil hose with Aeroquip "reusable" steel fittings. Its much safer and reliable than any type of clamped hose.

Brass, bronze or copper. Don't use steel unless you plan on treating it for rust next year.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

There’s nothing (apparently) wrong with what you’ve got. Strip it and repaint. It’ll look great.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by DCMY #92 View Post
    The fuel pump pulls it from the tank. You mention rubber hose and your photo shows black hose with screw clamps. You should consider using Aeroquip FC234 AQP High Temperature Fuel & Oil hose with Aeroquip "reusable" steel fittings. Its much safer and reliable than any type of clamped hose.
    The black hose is rubber Aeroquip is overrated and overpriced unnecessary crap, thats what I'm replacing as they didn't last three years. Same results in race cars myself and many friends built, refuse to get suckered by the hype anymore
    Last edited by ageless; 02-18-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Brass, bronze or copper. Don't use steel unless you plan on treating it for rust next year.
    agreed Bob, everything I am updating is brass other than the stainless T bolts

Just for the record - The 50+ year old Aeroquip steel fittings on my boat's fuel and oil lines are just fine. They don't rust any worse than all the other steel and iron in the engine room if painted - and they don't cross thread easily like brass. I just replaced all my blue, fire retardant Aeroquip fuel and oil hose after 15 years of service with no failures. Maybe you used the wrong grade Aeroquip on you previous projects?