Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Owner aging along with classic Hatteras

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    87 is impressive even without the injury. You have earned my respect and Im sure the respect of others
    You are certainly an inspiration to us all. Keep at it mate..... Walt

I hadn't seen this thread until now, so I'll make my contribution seeing as how I too have been wondering when age/health will affect how/if/when I do certain things. Turning 60 last year definitely put me in a thinking mode given how quickly the past ten years have passed. My guess is, I'll feel a bigger difference during the next ten.

I am physically capable of doing the same things now that I was 20 or even 30 years ago, and I am thankful I've been in good health, at least for the most part. I too used to be a perfectionist, but as the years have gone by, that is becoming less the case. I'm guessing that having a child come along so late in life has changed a lot of that. Being 60 with a 14 year old living at home definitely changes things, but in a good way. I honestly wonder why I even keep my Hatteras at this point, but I have never given up on the idea I will relocate it to Florida (for winter use) when he's up and gone. My boating these days is more of the go fast variety where I, can drive 55 (Sammy Hagar), and get close to 5MPG doing it. Spending the weekends at anchor and/or riding around at 1MPG or less isn't as appealing when you live on the water and have other boats to play with.

As for the DIY thing, while I do take a certain amount of pride in that (now more for the savings vs the pride), I hardly ever did things I really didn't enjoy doing on a boat (or anything else) when I could pay someone less money than it would cost me in lost earnings time to do myself. If I can earn, let's say $150 per hour at my job, why wouldn't I want to pay someone substantially less than that as to be able to use my free time to actually enjoy using the boat... or whatever. Now that I'm making less than the average mechanic/boat washer charges, I do as much as I can myself. One of those full circle of life things, I suppose.

In the end, there is only so much planning we can do, and fate is the real master. I mean I could drop dead before some of you even get a chance to giggle at this.
    Last edited by Freeebird; 02-22-2018 at 10:03 AM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Randy, How did you get soooo old. I thought you were still a youngster. Doing the go fast thing is OK
    I guess but you will get tired of it before you know it and the easy cruise of your Hatteras will be so much
    more pleasurable. As you probably know I'm almost 81 and have my 48 Hatteras sold (it's under contract
    but we haven't closed yet). I haven't even closed and I already am experiencing sellers remorse. I
    find myself looking at Yachtworld listings late at night and thinking..... why not, then I get back to reality
    and remember why I decided to sell in the first place. My point is that you are in a position that many
    of us have already passed through. You also have another major asset....Ryan.... he can learn to do
    lots of things that you used to do. Plan well and don't wait until your health and energy are not up to
    the task that your mind still thinks it is.

Walt

Walt, I was a go fast junkie way before I got into cruising. Once it's in your system, it pretty much stays there. I can imagine the seller's remorse as you have a lot of great memories on that boat. I've kept the 34' fifth wheel (aka the mobile mansion) I bought during the divorce mess, because of all the good memories of Ryan and I living there on the lake. I have lots of memories of him on the 41 too.

It's going to be a HUGE adjustment for me when he moves out on his own, and he may just end up in that camper on the lake when he goes to college, assuming he stays here. You and others who have met him will get a kick out of this photo. The little, blond haired kid you remember now stands at 6'2" (and growing) and 210. Yes, he constantly reminds me that he's a full inch taller than I am. He's in the JROTC as a freshman, and the first freshman to achieve the rank of petty officer third class. He's planning to enter the USCG, which makes me very proud and scares the hell out of me at the same time. He got his boater safety certificate last summer, so I suppose my being a boat nut has rubbed off on him. Maybe one day I'll hand over the 41 to him and watch him sail away with his own family.
    Attached Images
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

The common thread, as I read this thread, for the elder members, myself included, is stamina/energy. Health is individual, but decreased stamina/energy seems universal, going hand and hand with age. My MD tells me more exercise will give me more energy. My experience is exercise just tires me out leaving less energy to accomplish anything productive.

Thus my question. Anyone tried something that has boosted their energy level, especially among us elders?

Pete

I have no clue why that top one turned out sideways. No jokes please.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The common thread, as I read this thread, for the elder members, myself included, is stamina/energy. Health is individual, but decreased stamina/energy seems universal, going hand and hand with age. My MD tells me more exercise will give me more energy. My experience is exercise just tires me out leaving less energy to accomplish anything productive.

Thus my question. Anyone tried something that has boosted their energy level, especially among us elders?

Pete
    I've found that dating younger women helps.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Dating younger women along with testosterone injections will make a man of any age feel years younger.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    Dating younger women along with testosterone injections will make a man of any age feel years younger.
    Hell dating younger woman will heal the sick and raise the dead. 😇
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    I've found I don't need the injections if I skip the ugly ones.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93