Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Owner aging along with classic Hatteras

Over in the Tech section, Pascal's thread on repowering has a couple of recent posts that got my attention on owner aging. Rather than continuing that discussion off topic in that thread I am starting one on the subject here.

My Admiral is fond of saying "life is what happens as you are making plans". Fully agreeing with her, as I always do, I accept that us humans are individual and each will get one of the remaining slots in the accrual tables. For now I would like to ignore who gets which slot and discuss the median expectation for those of us still here.

To set a base line, I am 74 and the Social Security statistics indicate about 68% of us who were born in 1943 are still alive in some state. I have found that stamina is my best indicator of my aging when it comes to the care and feeding of a classic Hatteras. 20 years back, when we acquired our current Hatteras, I was a six hour man, not what you are thinking, six hours of work activity on the boat before I was looking to call it a day. Today, that stamina number is more like 3 hours. And just for perspective, I consider my health to be about as good as one could expect at 74.

Which leads to my two areas of interest. First, for those going ahead of me, what is your view of the future I should anticipate on the stamina as I continue to age hoping for no unplanned health events. And second for those approaching or about the same vintage as I, what has been your experience.

One footnote on why this has suddenly become of interest to me. I am an admitted perfectionist, especially on the boat, and for the first time when I haul it for maintenance I will have others do much of what I have done to my exacting standards in the past. Reason being I just do not feel I can do it all myself any more.

Pete

Re: Owner aging along with classic Hatteras

As a friend 15 years my senior says "what I used to do all day now takes me all day to do"
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

From another perfectionist, I will tell you that although I am rarely happy with the quality of work that I pay for, I do still let others do some things. I pay for bottom painting and buffing/polishing. I also pay for most fairing/paint work.

So, don't feel bad that you are not doing it all. I have found that there are some good yards/workers out there. In some cases they do not do things like you would do, but you can always complete the job once they are finished. Or, you can say "good enough" and just enjoy the boat and be happy that you can.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Seems I to am a perfectionist that never let anyone do anything on my house or boat. However nearing 67 I find the knees and back can’t keep up with my mind. I think I’m 30 and can do most anything until I do it. Then I pay for back adjustments and pain pills which I think would have been the same cost if I paid someone to do it. I’ve always had a saying “ it is what it is” I’m going to enjoy doing it until I can’t. Get the most out of life because you never know.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I am also a perfectionist. However after doing a job myself, It may not be perfect but usually much better than I could pay for. At least now with age and needing glasses, I can take them off, stand back and admire that perfect work! Next time you are paying to have a job done, pre-tip the person. But a unique way would be to take a hundred dollar bill, rip it in half, give one half to him and say he gets the other half when the job is completed. I guarantee a better job. If not, never give him the other half. You will be out the hundred but he will not have it.

My boat could use paint and look prettier.....but you know what? I don't see the flaws from the helm when I'm slow cruising at 20 knots. Use the boat!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Wow......This has got to be the most uplifting thread. I have been mentally beating myself up for a few
    years because I can no longer do what I used to. I am a bit older than most of you (81 this yr) so I
    experienced what you are all describing some years ago. I think Krush has the best answer but it's
    very hard for many of us to get our head around it. As a result I decided to sell my boat to a young
    couple (early 50's) who are very talented and will make and keep her in great shape. I let it go very
    cheap to them rather than just sell it to someone that may or may not take care of it, besides I'll
    probably get to go on it once in a while. It is an emotional experience for sure since I have been an
    active boater since I was a teenager. Worse case is we may just buy either a much smaller boat that
    we can sit on at the dock or a much larger one that we will need a full time captain to take care of and
    run it for us..... The jury is still out......

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Wow......This has got to be the most uplifting thread. I have been mentally beating myself up for a few
    years because I can no longer do what I used to. I am a bit older than most of you (81 this yr) so I
    experienced what you are all describing some years ago. I think Krush has the best answer but it's
    very hard for many of us to get our head around it. As a result I decided to sell my boat to a young
    couple (early 50's) who are very talented and will make and keep her in great shape. I let it go very
    cheap to them rather than just sell it to someone that may or may not take care of it, besides I'll
    probably get to go on it once in a while. It is an emotional experience for sure since I have been an
    active boater since I was a teenager. Worse case is we may just buy either a much smaller boat that
    we can sit on at the dock or a much larger one that we will need a full time captain to take care of and
    run it for us..... The jury is still out......

Walt
    Walt,

Knowing how you stand fast on your buisiness decisions (LOL) I can't wait to see what the jury decides for you.

Bobk

Wow, this post really hits home. At 76 I find that cannot comfortably do some of the mechanical maintenance I used to enjoy performing but we still enjoy boating. Gotten to the point that anything involving "boat yoga" gets farmed out to a mechanic. I still like to putter and armed with a pair of high quality gel knee pads and some strategically placed hand holds that still happens

Well here's one. Rather than pull one of my engines and rebuild it, I'm looking at sail boats thinking it would be easier.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"