Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Line

Re: Anchor Line

Quote Originally Posted by jjgar's54 View Post
    Hello all,

I'm getting a lot of useful info from this thread and I wonder if I can get some advise on the same topic ...
    I have a 1999 54 Conv and it has a Galley Maid windlass with a POS Fortress, 15 feet of plastic coated chain, and a couple hundred feet of line. Firstly, do you think this boat may have come out of High Point with all chain ? Secondly, if I chose to go all chain, in your opinion would if feed itself down into the anchor locker without me having to feed it into the elbow ? I anchor out in shallow water sometimes alone and I want to wire in an up/down switch on the bridge.
    Also, suggestions on an anchor ? ? ?

Thanks, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a 48MY with a GM windlass and elbow like yours. I use 3/8 G-4 chain and it does feed through the elbow by itself 95% of the time. If you are overnighting, consider a Bruce or SuperMax anchor. BTW, the stock GM windlass does not have a down thrust bearing and will give you problems if you lower the hook with the remote switch. I had mine modified to add a down thrust bearing by Rick at Galley Maid and all is well now well now. If you anchor in mud, you will need to have a wash down and this can also be installed for remote bridge operation.

Bobk

I dont like using line but it should not part. If it chaffe that quickly it means there is a sharp edge near the roller the cut the line.

Once you get to about 45/50 feet there is really no reason not to use all chain. It feeds better thru the windlass and hawsepipe than line anyway and you can use less scope, important if you anchor in tight anchorages. In tidal anchorage the drag of the chain on the boat will slow the swing of th boat when current reverses, greatly reucing the odds o th anchor pulling out. On smaller boats i like to use at least as much chain as needed in where i anchor the most... on my 26' gaff rigged sailboat, i put 50' of chain as we typically anchor in 8 to 10' depth. We ve rarely used any of the 200' of extra line

As to anchor, it depends on the bottow you anchor in. I love the bruce /Claw, it s a good all around anchor especially in sand or mud. Much better in soft mud than a delta although the delta has an edge in grass or rocky hard bittoms.

I see way too many boaters struggling to set anchor and dragging, and while it alwaus comes down to lack of scope or too much power while setting, chain is a big help. Anchoring failure cna be entertaining though... this week end in Bimini we were entertainned by two boat which took 4 attempt to set hteir hooks... a 50ish sportfich and a 60' Marquis MY...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Bob,
    Thanks for the reply. I'll be speaking with Rick to order clutch fibers (IF I get the wildcat off) and I'll inquire about the thrust bearings. I'm surprised my 54 has a GM with only 1/4" BBB chain .....
    BR, JJ Gar

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    Well the snow held off for a day so I was able access the anchor locker on the new to me boat. I looks like I have about 15 feet of chain and the rest is line. I may want to replace the line with new line. I never anchor other than to go bottom fishing in anywhere from 30-75 feet of water. Never overnight. What size anchor line do I need? I was thinking 3/4" but am not sure. Any ideas?
    I would worry about 15' of chain! I don't think that is enough to hold the boat in a blow. You suggested you don't spend nights on the hook, but you might be forced to anchor in poor conditions due to events out of your control, engine failure, fouled prop(s) and who knows what else.

I would suggest at least 1 foot of chain for every foot of boat as a minimum.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Well, As per one or some of your suggestions, I sent my GM gearbox to Rick at GM in Okeechobee and he is installing thrust bearing as I type .... Thanks for all your input. Rick is a great connection.
    Now to choose an anchor. Anyone hear of the Manson Ray ? ? ? Or the Rocna original with the roll bar ? ? ? ?

Thanks, JJ.
    Last edited by jjgar's54; 03-22-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Well, As per one or some of your suggestions, I sent my GM gearbox to Rick at GM in Okeechobee and he is installing thrust bearing as I type .... Thanks for all your input. Rick is a great connection.
    Now to choose an anchor. Anyone hear of the Manson Ray ? ? ? Or the Rocna original with the roll bar ? ? ? ?

Thanks, JJ.
    I have heard of both, but have no experience. I use a 75# SuperMax and never had a problem after hundreds of anchoring experiences on the Chesapeake and on the tidal creeks of the AICW.

Before you reinstall the gear box, be sure to get some epoxy on the exposed bolt holes to prevent future moisture intrusion. If you have any corrosion on the gear and motor below deck, you may already have a problem.

Bobk

JJ I have a ROCNA anchor #33 its a 73# anchor on my 53SF with 200feet of chain and have never dragged in some good blows.I really like the anchor the bigger the better. make you up a couple of bridles and you will be good to go.
    Bob

I use a rocna and cant fault it. Just consider if the roll bar will catch under the pulpit, if you have one, when stowing the anchor.

Thanks guys .... really appreciate all the info.

Bobk, I've got a 54 SF weighing 35T seems we may have similar boats. So a Supermax may work for me too. Thanks for bringing up sealing the through bolts. My gearbox is spotless so no water intrusion, so far. Rick from GM is UPSing my gearbox back to CT today. GREAT service !

BoaterBob, Do you have any issues with the Rocna roll bar on your 53 SF and how the anchor lands in the pulpit?

Colwyn, Do you use your Rocna on a similar boat? And dose the roll bar create a problem with your pulpit ?

Maybe I'm overthinking this anchor thing .... but I just want to buy once.

I've got a beautiful Fortress, if anyone's interested LOL

Thanks again to all, JJ

Thanks guys .... really appreciate all the info.

Bobk, I've got a 54 SF weighing 35T seems we may have similar boats. So a Supermax may work for me too. Thanks for bringing up sealing the through bolts. My gearbox is spotless so no water intrusion, so far. Rick from GM is UPSing my gearbox back to CT today. GREAT service !

BoaterBob, Do you have any issues with the Rocna roll bar on your 53 SF and how the anchor lands in the pulpit?

Colwyn, Do you use your Rocna on a similar boat? And dose the roll bar create a problem with your pulpit ?

Maybe I'm overthinking this anchor thing .... but I just want to buy once.

I've got a beautiful Fortress, if anyone's interested LOL

Thanks again to all, JJ
    Just a heads up, the 75# SuperMax will require a simple modification to the bow roller. It needs to be lower to allow the anchor to stow properly. If you go this way, I may have a picture I can send you.

Bobk