Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anchor Line

Anchor Line

Well the snow held off for a day so I was able access the anchor locker on the new to me boat. I looks like I have about 15 feet of chain and the rest is line. I may want to replace the line with new line. I never anchor other than to go bottom fishing in anywhere from 30-75 feet of water. Never overnight. What size anchor line do I need? I was thinking 3/4" but am not sure. Any ideas?

Re: Anchor Line

I wonder what happened to the 300 plus feet of chain the boat came with? Nevertheless if you’re not going to chain up 3/4 would be the size.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I switched from all chain to rope and chain when I replaced my windlass back in early 2016. Here's what happened the second time I anchored with it. Needless to say I have all chain again.

20161016_111411.jpg
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

And that was New England Ropes line, too!!! Does the windlass have the wrong gypsy or wildcat or whatever it's called? I've never seen that.

I think you need more chain than that; I have thirty-five feet of 3/8 chain (for the weight) and a much smaller boat than you have.

I had out my 50' of chain and only 5 - 10 ft of rope. Strong tide moving from east to west against a strong SW wind held the boat at about a 30 - 45 degree angle to the anchor rode. Repeated swells lifting the boat up and down over 20 min or so, picking the chain up of the bottom, rolling the rope over the bowsprint roller. Went off like a rifle shot - parted at the roller. Brand new line. I suspect that the strain combined with the repeated back and forth motion acted like bending a paper clip back and forth.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I’d ask the rod Company to buy you a new anchor. But then again that’s why I’m staying with all Chain. Not to say they do snap on rare occasions.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I'm surprised because NER is supposed to be some of the best line you can get, regardless of price. And that looks like NER line to me. I would have thought it held up better.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I'm surprised because NER is supposed to be some of the best line you can get, regardless of price. And that looks like NER line to me. I would have thought it held up better.
    Jim, how many posts does it take to become a super moderator?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

All of the stretch would come out of that short amount of line since the chain will not stretch. I was told years ago to have at least LWL of anchor line out after the chain to not overload it on a combined line/chain setup. I have no idea where that napkin math came from. I had a sailboat at the time with 25' of chain. 60' was my goto length with a 34' boat and about 5:1 where I anchored. We are happily all chain now on the hatt.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Hello all,

I'm getting a lot of useful info from this thread and I wonder if I can get some advise on the same topic ...
    I have a 1999 54 Conv and it has a Galley Maid windlass with a POS Fortress, 15 feet of plastic coated chain, and a couple hundred feet of line. Firstly, do you think this boat may have come out of High Point with all chain ? Secondly, if I chose to go all chain, in your opinion would if feed itself down into the anchor locker without me having to feed it into the elbow ? I anchor out in shallow water sometimes alone and I want to wire in an up/down switch on the bridge.
    Also, suggestions on an anchor ? ? ?

Thanks, any advise would be greatly appreciated.