Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Line

Hybrid View

Anchor Line

Well the snow held off for a day so I was able access the anchor locker on the new to me boat. I looks like I have about 15 feet of chain and the rest is line. I may want to replace the line with new line. I never anchor other than to go bottom fishing in anywhere from 30-75 feet of water. Never overnight. What size anchor line do I need? I was thinking 3/4" but am not sure. Any ideas?

Re: Anchor Line

I wonder what happened to the 300 plus feet of chain the boat came with? Nevertheless if you’re not going to chain up 3/4 would be the size.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I switched from all chain to rope and chain when I replaced my windlass back in early 2016. Here's what happened the second time I anchored with it. Needless to say I have all chain again.

20161016_111411.jpg
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

And that was New England Ropes line, too!!! Does the windlass have the wrong gypsy or wildcat or whatever it's called? I've never seen that.

I think you need more chain than that; I have thirty-five feet of 3/8 chain (for the weight) and a much smaller boat than you have.

I had out my 50' of chain and only 5 - 10 ft of rope. Strong tide moving from east to west against a strong SW wind held the boat at about a 30 - 45 degree angle to the anchor rode. Repeated swells lifting the boat up and down over 20 min or so, picking the chain up of the bottom, rolling the rope over the bowsprint roller. Went off like a rifle shot - parted at the roller. Brand new line. I suspect that the strain combined with the repeated back and forth motion acted like bending a paper clip back and forth.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I’d ask the rod Company to buy you a new anchor. But then again that’s why I’m staying with all Chain. Not to say they do snap on rare occasions.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    Well the snow held off for a day so I was able access the anchor locker on the new to me boat. I looks like I have about 15 feet of chain and the rest is line. I may want to replace the line with new line. I never anchor other than to go bottom fishing in anywhere from 30-75 feet of water. Never overnight. What size anchor line do I need? I was thinking 3/4" but am not sure. Any ideas?
    I would worry about 15' of chain! I don't think that is enough to hold the boat in a blow. You suggested you don't spend nights on the hook, but you might be forced to anchor in poor conditions due to events out of your control, engine failure, fouled prop(s) and who knows what else.

I would suggest at least 1 foot of chain for every foot of boat as a minimum.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Well, As per one or some of your suggestions, I sent my GM gearbox to Rick at GM in Okeechobee and he is installing thrust bearing as I type .... Thanks for all your input. Rick is a great connection.
    Now to choose an anchor. Anyone hear of the Manson Ray ? ? ? Or the Rocna original with the roll bar ? ? ? ?

Thanks, JJ.
    Last edited by jjgar's54; 03-22-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jjgar's54 View Post
    Well, As per one or some of your suggestions, I sent my GM gearbox to Rick at GM in Okeechobee and he is installing thrust bearing as I type .... Thanks for all your input. Rick is a great connection.
    Now to choose an anchor. Anyone hear of the Manson Ray ? ? ? Or the Rocna original with the roll bar ? ? ? ?

Thanks, JJ.
    I have heard of both, but have no experience. I use a 75# SuperMax and never had a problem after hundreds of anchoring experiences on the Chesapeake and on the tidal creeks of the AICW.

Before you reinstall the gear box, be sure to get some epoxy on the exposed bolt holes to prevent future moisture intrusion. If you have any corrosion on the gear and motor below deck, you may already have a problem.

Bobk

JJ I have a ROCNA anchor #33 its a 73# anchor on my 53SF with 200feet of chain and have never dragged in some good blows.I really like the anchor the bigger the better. make you up a couple of bridles and you will be good to go.
    Bob