Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: wood question

wood question

I had to tare out the counter and some other wood to get the DD out of the belly of my 52.Beginning to think about putting the stuff back.
    I talked to Jack King today at atlantic veneer in Beauford NC. Asking him about the wood or should i say plywood to put back of course he got it all if you got the money.
    Anyone here got a idea. Of the wood i believe it is not veneer. Jack said sometime Hatteras sub and used of that funny name alfomasa and stained it.
    My question if i use the teak does anyone know what or if there is a code or color or do you just match best you can. As for the funny name wood if i use that anyone got a stane #
    that kinda matches or it is in the eye of the beholder

ok cricket this in your department ..

Re: wood question

All our interior wood has been replaced with teak so I'm not going to be much help with the funny named wood.
    How about a picture?
    Btw, shouldn't you be providing us with lots of repower pictures anyway???
    My first thought is to cover the area that got cut with a veneer after it gets put back so it all matches and there's no seams. As an example when we cut our aft bulkhead for our repower we just veneered the whole panel from the side over to the door frame.
    To finish it you're probably going to have to go the trial and error route for a match.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

There's a color in the build sheet but I'm almost sure it's no longer available. We did some rehab in a 52c up here and used teak for trim and stained by eye to match. It took a few test pieces but came out nice.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Tim,
    I'm not sure what interior you have but my 1985 is all Afromosia inside. I have done quite a bit of woodwork over the years including building some new cabinetry in the galley and salon. I used afromosia veneer for the plywood and solid afromosia for making trim. It all matches perfectly. I used the wood finish from Sams.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Tim,
    I'm not sure what interior you have but my 1985 is all Afromosia inside. I have done quite a bit of woodwork over the years including building some new cabinetry in the galley and salon. I used afromosia veneer for the plywood and solid afromosia for making trim. It all matches perfectly. I used the wood finish from Sams.
    A little bad news about that funny wood (afromosia ) as we speak is on the restriction list per Jack at atlantic veamear.

Every body made good sence as well as cricket. So there are some choices out there...

When I enclosed my windshield on my 43C, I built cabinets up on the 5' x 5' "dashboard" area under the windshield. I used 1/2" teak veneer marine plywood that I bought from Condon Lumber in White Plains NY. The ribbon cut (not rotary cut) teak is very close to the look of afromosia. I'll try to get some pics next time I'm at the boat.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Tim, there's multiple Afromosia veneer auctions on Ebay. Also looks to be available online after a google search.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Tim, there's multiple Afromosia veneer auctions on Ebay. Also looks to be available online after a google search.
    I bought mine from Sams
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I've used Herzog veneers and been happy with their product. It's not cheap, but you can see pictures of the actual wood they'll use for the veneer, and you can choose which one closest matches what's already on the boat. Use the Longwoods link to see all of the different species, then drill in to see the various logs. Here's the one for afromosia:
    http://www.veneeronline.com/InvList1...species=AFROMO

Sapele is readily available and is a very close match to the Aframoso.