Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: taken a fall onboard.

I was washing the boat some time last year; I had just finished washing the flybridge. I used the boat scrub brush to lower the soapy bucket of water down to the deck and dropped the brush into the bucket with the handle sticking up, up towards the fly bridge, kind of resting on the ladder, but sticking out a little. Well, I turned around and started to go down the ladder when I slipped! The handle of the boat brush went up the leg of my shorts, on my backside just missing, well you know. I caught my self about halfway down with the brush sticking out of the back of my pants!

I don't do that any more....

Captned,

That's a good one, I do the same thing all the time, not any more

3. Re: taken a fall onboard.

Glad to see I'm not alone on doing something dumb... Thanks for the replies.
    Last night I leaned back in my chair here in the saloon (we are full time liveaboards for 6 yrs now) and couldn't get the chair to return in the 'up' position due the pain.
    The Admiral could do nothing but laugh at me for about 10 mins before coming over and helping me get out...... So much for wifely compassion...
    But she does still put my shoes and socks on each morning since the accident....
    Just can't wait till I can get to the point where I can again sleep thru the night....... sigh
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

4. Re: taken a fall onboard.

I've stepped into an open engine-room hatch. I did NOT enjoy it...... fortunately all I got out of it was a couple of bruised shins, but it could have been REAL bad.

The worst one I've done on board was coming into the cabin after a dive, I slipped on the galley stairs and went down hard on my butt and back. Fortunately I didn't break anything, but that one could have been REAL bad.....

A friend of mine managed to back into the crane on the foredeck a couple of years ago, went up-ended and landed on the unoccupied dingy chocks. That one resulted in a trip to the ER to confirm that nothing was fractured (fortunately, the answer was "no") and a seriously-wounded pride....

Around 1980, while working for Uniflite, I decided it would be fun to ride along on a sea trial of a 56' Navy target drone. We built dozens of these- they were powered by (5) 454 mercruiser inbds and could do 36 kts. But, shallow-v, they rode bad. The bay was lumpy that morning, probably 4' to 5' seas. About six of us were in the cabin hanging on to overhead handrails when we hit the 1st wave. I lost my grip, snapped my ankle like a dryed twig, and ended up prone face down on the cabin floor. The next wave was as bad and this caused my face to slam into the deck, breaking my nose and getting scratched up on the non-skid. Yes, the drones had non-skid in the cabin as well as weather decks, and it was like a gravel road!

Embarrassing all around- my boss standing next to me, no one else lost their grip, whole company knew within minutes, etc. Damn near missed out on a rare business trip for a Uniflite engineer but our contracts manager was sympathetic and drug me along on crutches. Probably thought it would be best if he kept an eye on me in case I wanted to go on another boat ride!
    Gary

I was washing the top of the front cabin when I slipped on something ( soap ) . In trying to catch my balance I did a complete soft shoe and slipped, jumped off the top, onto the front deck. Slipping and sliding until I hit the bow rail which abruptly stopped me. Outside of a couple jammed toes from hitting the front hatch, a pounding heart and feeling stupid. I was OK. But I keep thinking what if I had been heading for the dock over the side. That's 10 feet down. I no longer wash the cabin top (bare) foot anymore.

BILL

Alone is relative. I nosed the boat into an offshore weed patch on a dead calm day with 3 buddies. Everybody on the bow casting to chicken dolphin. I went aft for a smaller pole and lost my balance half way back - no big deal, I just fell off the boat, kerspluush. I thought about yelling for help but instead just swam to the stern, pulled myself aboard, stripped, took a shower, changed clothes, got my pole and went forward again to join the fun. One of them said without looking up "where've you been?" I think about that occasionally and remind myself to really be careful.

good luck with your recovery !

that's it ! I'm not washing the boat for the next month after reading all these horror stories :-) since I must be due for a fall...

ankle sprain can be really long lasting... 3 or 4 years I twisted my ankle at a car show in Columbia SC... coulndt walk the rest of the week end, had to hop on one foot, could barely use the clutch to drive back, and it bothered me for over a year.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Genesis wrote: "The worst one I've done on board was coming into the cabin after a dive, I slipped on the galley stairs and went down hard on my butt and back. Fortunately I didn't break anything, but that one could have been REAL bad....."

Y'know, I did the same exact thing in mine -- those companionway steps are no place for wet feet. It was a real crowd-pleasing Fred Flintstone-type-feet-higher-than-your-head kinda wipeout. Unfortunately/fortunately, nobody was there to witness it.

-- Paul

10. Re: taken a fall onboard.

The worst part of it is that there IS a big, solid grab-rail. Its not like I had an excuse for not having a hand on it......