Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Striping of wood in the salon

Some more photos of the saloon
    Attached Images

Don’t apologize for the photos I’m sure everyone loves them. If they don’t their jealous. Magnificent job sir.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thank you here are some more
    Attached Images

Dining room wall
    Attached Images

Stairs to bridge
    Attached Images

I have spent many years doing interior varnishing and your work is impressive.

You now need to hand out sunglasses for all your family, friends and other visitors!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Thanks, we did joke around about having to ware sunglasses!
    Attached Images

Did you apply any awl brite or was it only awl spar? Also how often and what grit do you use to sand between coats? Very impressed.

Thanks, started off with 80 to 120 grit on the da to strip most spots, being careful not to go through the veneer. The stepped to 180 the 320 grit with da and blocks. Next vacuum everything and wiped it down with paint prep solvent. Tack raged and applied sealer coat of awlspar. Let dry and sanded everything with 320 grit and repated the process. Aplyed more awlspar. Sanded between most coats with 320 to 400 grit. We used a combination of da and long boards and blocks. We also did some wet sanding when we had enough coats on there. That helped to keep the dust down. I would say there is about 13 coats on there. Around 20 or so quarts of awlspar only. We did final wet sand with 1500 grit then 3000 grit. Then we buffed it. It was really labor intensive. It was three months or so of weekends.

Reflection in the wall. Alwspar itself is very easy to use. I used in the pilot house of my last boat and it was also very durable. I have had issues with awlclear separating on the bridges over time. Alwspar seams more flexible.
    Attached Images