Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fridge replacement

20yr old GE fridge finally gave up the ghost. Searching old threads here and on the interweb yields 3 candidates that will fit down the companionway without taking the doorframe apart ( why is everything else on the boat assembled with screws, but not that doorframe??): Avanti, Igloo and maybe Criterion (Menard’s house brand). I guess these might all be classed “disposable”, but does anybody have recent experience, good or bad, with any of these brands? Thanks.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Re: Fridge replacement

If you could get it through a window, that might give you more options. It's not as bad a job to pull a window as it might seem, especially for a yard that has the experience.

Bobk

I have a small avanti, it works... nowadays all that stuff is pretty much disposable.

Check smallappliances.com they have things you wont find in regular stores.

I ve never undertood why counter depth fridges are so expensive... i hate standard fridges that are so deep you forget what s hidding in the back!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I have a small avanti, it works... nowadays all that stuff is pretty much disposable.

Check smallappliances.com they have things you wont find in regular stores.

I ve never undertood why counter depth fridges are so expensive... i hate standard fridges that are so deep you forget what s hidding in the back!
    I thought the stuff in the back was left over high school biology homework.....

Walt

Thanks, guys. If I had a 53, I would pull a window. The fridge space in my 43 is really pretty small, so pulling the window would only get me a slightly larger fridge. As somebody said in another thread, “I hate pulling a window that doesn’t leak”.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

There ar no windo to pull to get a fridge in with a 53... they fit fine thru the aft deck door, the problem are the stairs going down to th galley.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    There ar no windo to pull to get a fridge in with a 53... they fit fine thru the aft deck door, the problem are the stairs going down to th galley.
    Oh well...just one more reason to regret not having 10 more ft of waterfront.

We replaced a non working sub zero with a combo unit made by Summit. Commercial quality, reasonably priced, lots of sizes.

Randy

9. Re: Fridge replacement

For whatever it's worth... when our galley was remodeled a 30 inch tinted hatch was installed in the ceiling which is where the front lounge area is forward of the helm windshield. This allowed us to move in and out with ease any appliance at all. The bonus is that is made the galley so much more lighter and we can open it for fresh air while under way or on nice days. I highly recommend it depending on your vessel. We have a 56 MY Wide body.
    Bill Willetts - Wilmington NC
    Snap-on Tools Executive
    Steel Drum Musician
    https://www.facebook.com/jollymonjams/

Hatteras 56MY

Quote Originally Posted by HahnR View Post
    We replaced a non working sub zero with a combo unit made by Summit. Commercial quality, reasonably priced, lots of sizes. Randy
    Thanks for the Summit recommendation. Found a model that will slip right through the door.