Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Fridge replacement

20yr old GE fridge finally gave up the ghost. Searching old threads here and on the interweb yields 3 candidates that will fit down the companionway without taking the doorframe apart ( why is everything else on the boat assembled with screws, but not that doorframe??): Avanti, Igloo and maybe Criterion (Menard’s house brand). I guess these might all be classed “disposable”, but does anybody have recent experience, good or bad, with any of these brands? Thanks.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Re: Fridge replacement

If you could get it through a window, that might give you more options. It's not as bad a job to pull a window as it might seem, especially for a yard that has the experience.

Bobk

I have a small avanti, it works... nowadays all that stuff is pretty much disposable.

Check smallappliances.com they have things you wont find in regular stores.

I ve never undertood why counter depth fridges are so expensive... i hate standard fridges that are so deep you forget what s hidding in the back!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I have a small avanti, it works... nowadays all that stuff is pretty much disposable.

Check smallappliances.com they have things you wont find in regular stores.

I ve never undertood why counter depth fridges are so expensive... i hate standard fridges that are so deep you forget what s hidding in the back!
    I thought the stuff in the back was left over high school biology homework.....

Walt

Thanks, guys. If I had a 53, I would pull a window. The fridge space in my 43 is really pretty small, so pulling the window would only get me a slightly larger fridge. As somebody said in another thread, “I hate pulling a window that doesn’t leak”.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

There ar no windo to pull to get a fridge in with a 53... they fit fine thru the aft deck door, the problem are the stairs going down to th galley.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat