Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Liability only Insurance in Florida

I have been turned down for insuring my 53 in Jupiter Florida by my current insurers .Is there an insurer out there who will provide liability only insurance? I have never had a claim in 28 years of owning the boat.
    Ian w
    1981 53 my

Re: Liability only Insurance in Florida

We went with liability only on our 52 Hat. We got quotes from several companies, forget who we ended up going through, will have to check with the wife on that.

With the high prices we were quoted for agreed value policies it just didn't make financial sense. We are going to drop $5k/yr into a 'self-insure' savings account and just let it build value. If the boat sinks/burns..etc well, we just take the hit. Our boat is paid in cash so no lien holders to satisfy.

Liability only is definitely NOT for everyone, you have to be able to just walk away if something catastrophic happens.

I may be able to help

Aren't there several aspects that have to be covered? Things like oil spill etc..
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    I have been turned down for insuring my 53 in Jupiter Florida by my current insurers .Is there an insurer out there who will provide liability only insurance? I have never had a claim in 28 years of owning the boat.
    Ian w
    1981 53 my
    Just Curious, why'd they refuse to reinsure? I may have read the post incorrectly...

I have a London UK registered boat and European insurance companies will no longer insure a 1981 boat in Florida according to my brokers in the UK. Also in my view self insured is non insured

Are you a Florida resident? Many companies here don't want absentee owners in Florida. I would contact some well experienced brokers here and discuss your options. One possibility is to offer to store the boat in a hurricane-proof building for the season.

MTOA members are able to get insurance in Florida on older boats. You might consider joining and getting the insurance through our broker. It is a member benefit.

Bobk

What is mtoa?

Its a boating club.they're pretty active too.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Just in Florida?