Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boating mishap

Re: Boating mishap

I saw that a few days ago. Scary!
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

That’s been plastered all over Facebook. Guy should be shot.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

There was a very similar thing that happened a few years ago off the coast of NJ. Some guys were
    fishing in a small boat about a mile or so off the NJ shore one morning and a 60' Viking ran them over.
    I think the owner of the Viking was down below and was on autopilot. He got jail time and all kinds of
    fines ($) and who knows whatever else. If memory serves me, there were fatalities. Is it stupidity or
    arrogance that makes some people behave like this? The Rules of the Road clearly require a lookout at
    all times but some like to think it doesn't apply to them. What should have been a fun day on the water
    ended being a disaster for all parties.

Walt

I was offended that the article found it necessary to say he was "a 74 year old man." I'm 74! His age probably had nothing to do with the accident. Stupidity, carelessness, Yes! At least he wasn't operating a Hatteras. Mel Tucker

Age should have given him wisdom. As in knowing not to do stupid things.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

And the lawsuits are just getting started, some lawyers are going to make a lot of money. I was on a boat once leaving the Harbor in Newport Beach Ca. 5 knot speed limit. The owner hit a guy fishing in a kayak, sunk the kayak. The guy swam away but the lawsuit was pretty big on the payout. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Tucker View Post
    I was offended that the article found it necessary to say he was "a 74 year old man." I'm 74! His age probably had nothing to do with the accident. Stupidity, carelessness, Yes! At least he wasn't operating a Hatteras. Mel Tucker

He used a mobility scooter to get around, I assume that his age had something to do with that need. His son also said that his Dad spent a lot of time on his phone texting, which has nothing to do with his age.

Could've been a container ship captain. They're used to driving and not seeing what's in front of them. Or maybe a USN destroyer captain.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If because of bow rise, you are disabled to the point you cannot properly maintain a lookout, you should not be boating.

Smacks of failure to keep a lookout and avoiding an accident. Of course the fishing boat has some responsibility as well since they did not keep a look out until the last moment. No effort was made to avoid the accident by either boat. You know, defensive driving?

If you have ever taken your boat from Red Bank NJ up the Hudson on a Sunday you know full well that people in smaller fishing boats will stop right in front of you and expect you to be burdened. They get so thick and petulant inside Sandy Hook it's unnerving. We've heard 5 blasts from tankers and cargo ships in Ambrose channel trying to get people to move.

Then there are the fishers that cut across your boat trolling for Mahi etc. in the stream.
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 01-20-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    Regards
    Dan