Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

22KW Kilopak problem

On a friends boat changing oil this fall we had the generator running to warm it up. There was no load on it and after about 5 min it went "pop" and I saw a flash and smelled the dreaded burnt electrical smell. He ran up to shut it down and noticed the volt meter pegged out as high as it would go. We opened the control box and could see no evidence of scorching or burnt boards or wires. We pulled the cover off of the generator end and tested the diodes and whatever else was there per the manual and all tested okay.

Any ideas? Since it puts out voltage do you think it may just be a regulator board or is it more serious? Who works on these? Do we need to find an electrician that understands generators or just pull the gen end and get it to a good motor shop?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: 22KW Kilopak problem

Sky, have you called the manufacturer? I know these are built up of bought-in components, but it might be worth a try.

I had two seperate instances similar to that, one was an Onan 20kw, the VR went south , no real apparent scorching but lots of smoke,
    the second was a Norpro that the stator had a part on blow, smoke and smell but again no real apparent scorched wires

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Sky, have you called the manufacturer? I know these are built up of bought-in components, but it might be worth a try.
    I have not. Its not my generator, but I'm also not so sure they are around anymore.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    I had two seperate instances similar to that, one was an Onan 20kw, the VR went south , no real apparent scorching but lots of smoke,
    the second was a Norpro that the stator had a part on blow, smoke and smell but again no real apparent scorched wires
    I'm thinking its the voltage regulator. If they are not too expensive, he may just buy one and see if that takes care of it. His other generator is a 1978 Onan 20kw. That one is coming out this winter and a new Norpro 12.5 is replacing it so he is in no real hurry to fix the Kilopak.
    Sky Cheney

Pretty sure the Kilopak gen sets used off the shelf components.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

There is a way to test the VR on Onans and the same may work for others, worth a try, it should be int he Onan manual or download from the net, needs 12 v dc and a tester.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    There is a way to test the VR on Onans and the same may work for others, worth a try, it should be int he Onan manual or download from the net, needs 12 v dc and a tester.
    Thanks. We'll check that out.
    Sky Cheney

A new VR board is only $20. We're going to start there but can't start it until the ice thaws.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    A new VR board is only $20. We're going to start there but can't start it until the ice thaws.
    Here in Florida, when the ice thaws, our cocktails get watery.

Sorry, could not resist, 70 degrees out, sunny.

Tim,
    Daytona Beach Fl