Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

53/54 MY - Shore power connections - 50 amp, 1 or 2?

One more question... thank you everyone for being so patient.

These models seem to have shore power connections next to the pilothouse door on both port and starboard and the shore power connection specify they are 50 amp. Does one 50 amp connection run everything on the boat, including a/c? Or does almost everything run off of one 50 amp but a/c takes a second, dedicated 50 amp connection?

Thanks.

John

Re: 53/54 MY - Shore power connections - 50 amp, 1 or 2?

A single 50amp is a bit tight when running all 4 or 5 air con plus other loads like stove etc.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    A single 50amp is a bit tight when running all 4 or 5 air con plus other loads like stove etc.
    Okay. That makes sense. Thanks, Pascal. On our old boat, we typically didn't run the air conditioning in the forward berth unless someone was visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
    Okay. That makes sense. Thanks, Pascal. On our old boat, we typically didn't run the air conditioning in the forward berth unless someone was visiting.
    We typically don’t run AC forward so visitors don’t get any ideas.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If your boat has Shoreline 1 and Shoreline 2, like my 58MY did, you can run two power cords and split up the load so you can run everything. It will depend on the year and model of your boat. Mine was a 1980 and I brought one power cord in through the regular 50 amp outlet, and another through a 125v outlet. Both of those came off the two 220v outlets on the pedestal. Then I switched the panel with the most 125v stuff on it over that other Shoreline. Somewhere, somehow, the boat took the 220v and made it 125v, yet gave the battery charger on that one panel 220v supply. I have transformers, too.

I never had to manage power loads after I learned how to use the electric panels. As a liveaboard in Miami, I would run all the AC, cooktop, oven, water heater, and clothes dryer all at the same time without issue.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I use the receptacle for 50 amp 125/250 volt and I can run everything.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

You’ll never be disappointed having more available power than you need. Run both 50a connections if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I use the receptacle for 50 amp 125/250 volt and I can run everything.
    Even when it s hot and you have all the compressors running? The average split compressor pulls 10 amps... 4 only leave 10 amps for everything else incl charger, stove, etc.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    You’ll never be disappointed having more available power than you need. Run both 50a connections if possible.
    You'll also pull less amps on each cord if you run two. This means less chance of burning up the prongs on your cords.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    You'll also pull less amps on each cord if you run two. This means less chance of burning up the prongs on your cords.
    Very good point Sky. 50 Amp cord sets are not cheap so learn to not overload them.

Walt