Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 45C or 48MY

Re: 45C or 48MY

If you don't fish and mostly cruise the icw where you re not going to be doing much swimming and water sports o don't see the point of the convertible.

The aft deck on the MY offers much better ventilation (thru the wing doors) as well as protection from the sun. In your climate a soft enclosure will let you enjoy the space year round whether it rains, the temps drop or the bugs are out in force. No see Huns, mosquitoes and worst of all those GA coastal horseflies!

A MY is a lot easier to handle than a convertible. The cockpit does nothing for line handling. If you let your wife jump on the dock before the boat is tied up you re doing it all wrong. Secure the boat first by tying the lines from the boat. Jumping on the dock works with small open boats not anything over 40' especially with current you get at so many icw marinas.

Side decks on a convertible are not as easy to handle as on a MY where you have the safety of rails and no steps
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    Is it true that a big difference between the convertible and motor yacht hulls in this vintage is their ability to push over the hump to get up on plane?

We don’t expect to streak around at 25 to 30 MPH, nor will we be happy running at hull speed any longer than necessary to comply with No Wake Zones.
    A leisurely 18 to 22 MPH will probably be the sweet spot for our target speed and the drinking habits of those Detroit engines. But we want to be gliding along on plane at that speed and not wallowing along trying to get on plane.
    My 1981 48MY with 425 HP 692's cruises on full plane at 15 knots @ 2000 rpm and that's loaded with heavy custom furniture, live board gear, tools, spares, center console RIB etc. Walt's has larger engines, perhaps 500 HP and his will cruise at 18+ if I recall right.

Pascal, I totally concur with your post. Gayle especially likes the safety of the wide catwalks and full high rails. I bought the boat when I was 70 years young. Twelve years later, I'm now a tad more experienced and never felt unsafe on it.

Bobk
    Chateau de Mer
    Tarpon Bay Yacht Club
    Port St Lucie

I bet if you took all the stuff off her shed gain 2 or 3 kts Bob.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

There's a ladder on a convertible, but there are about 7 sets of steps up and down on a MY. Personal preference, but I prefer not having to climb 10ft just to board a boat.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Also look at the 43c as a 45 with a shorter cockpit.

Bugsy has one for sale and I'm told it's very nice and priced reasonably.

I know his broker and he was impressed by it's condition.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Mel Tucker has a 43dc that may work for you.
    The 43DC is a great boat. The lower station which is part of the aft deck gives the helmsman 360 deg visibility and is also easy to go from the helm to the side decks or aft to help with lines. Most of them have a flying bridge which is accessed by a ladder. I owned two 43DC's and both had FB but as I got older, I found myself driving from the lower station more and more.

The difference between a 43 and a 48MY is substantial. Although the names would imply a 5 ft difference in length, it's actually closer to 6 ft. The 48 has a foot of extra beam as well. Added together and the 48 is a much larger boat which permitted them to have 3 staterooms and 3 heads, much larger aft deck etc. IMO the downside of the 48 is that in order to help with lines it necessitates going down the stairs to the aft deck. No big deal except in stressful situations.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    There's a ladder on a convertible, but there are about 7 sets of steps up and down on a MY. Personal preference, but I prefer not having to climb 10ft just to board a boat.
    6 ft on my 56. Which one is 10?
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Ever tried boarding a convertible from a high fixed dock? It s a lot harder then climbing stairs or a pqsaerelle
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Ever tried boarding a convertible from a high fixed dock? It s a lot harder then climbing stairs or a pqsaerelle
    I was about to say that, but other than a few commercial fuel docks, not many of those in his contemplated cruising grounds.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

True around GA, N FL and SC but once you hit central Fl and North Carolina where tides return to the 3-4' range floating docks give way to fixed docks and stepping down to a SF can be a challenge. I see it all the time in the Bahamas

The key is to learn to tie the boat before stepping off. It s no big deal... throw the night of the line on the dock behind a clear , catch it and secure the bitter end back on the boat. Then you can set up a ladder or stairs.

Same when leaving. The original post mentioned the need for assistance. Not needed. I always double up my lines before leaving and never require dockside help, even single handling
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat