Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Thoughts on this Hatteras for sale...?

She's been on the market for about a year. A colleague went to see her and reported back that in his opinion - she was junk.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I was told that no aft bulkhead and framed windows was a factory option. An old brochure appears to confirm that but this could have been done afterwards, but who knows. I am not opposed to a project like this but I’m not sure if it’s worth the investment required. Assuming all systems are in order and the water damage is contained to one area of the boat would it be worth considering? SeaEric, could you put me in contact with your friend who looked at this boat. I would like to know why he passed on it before I hire a surveyor to look it over. Could save me a lot of time and money. Thanks.

He's in Taiwan right now checking on a new build that's underway. PM your name and number. When he returns next week I will ask him to call you.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Eric, I sent you a PM. ThanksI’ll report back what I find out. Does anyone have experience repairing water damage around window frames and skylights as Apparent in these pictures. I read a few post about re-seating windows and repairing water damage in decks with foam injection which the latter seems more complicated. But I haven’t found anything specific about repairing walls or window frames with wood rot. Can anyone comment on that? The structural considerations concerned me

Foam injection may work if yu only have a small area of rotted core otherwise the core needs to be replaced.

Water damage around windows is typically limited to the veneer around the window and can be rpaired pretty easily. Problem in this case is that there are likely many many more issues to address...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I was told that no aft bulkhead and framed windows was a factory option.
    Told by who? I've never seen or heard of it. Why not call Steve at Sam's or contact Bruce Morrison and find out?
    I would make a bet that that modification is the root of the leaks and other issues, which would be all the more amplified if you put a dinghy on the boat deck.

My knee-jerk reaction to this boat is that "free" might be too a high a price. And we are preparing to get back in the game.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Wouldn't the water damage be indicative of major intrusion into the laminate of the roof, like the 53's/58's have on occasion?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

In the pictures the hard top looks a little low?
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

At least Captain Stabbin left his hat for you to take over
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    At least Captain Stabbin left his hat for you to take over
    I actually met Captain Stabbin and Hunter at the Elbow Room in Fort Lauderdale 9 years ago. They offered to take my girlfriend for a cruise at the time. Thank goodness I convinced her to not go
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee