Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Onan MDL-4 fuel filter

I have the Onan gen with the rectangular filter, inlet on bottom corner, outlet, opposite upper corner. I just replaced the filter but noted there was significant fuel leaking from the bottom of the filter. I don't know if it's a design flaw or if there's something missing but I thought it was odd that the two nipples the filter slide onto easily pull out and have no o-ring to seal them in place. Is that normal? I can't see any other sources that could generate a leak. It still leaks heavily with the new filter.

Re: Onan MDL-4 fuel filter

Sounds like you either have a bad filter or didn't seat it firmly. Sure you got the in/out ports in right? Retainer clip not warped?
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    Sounds like you either have a bad filter or didn't seat it firmly. Sure you got the in/out ports in right? Retainer clip not warped?
    I made sure the ports were correct. I'd be surprised if the old AND new filters were bad, they both leak. I questioned the clip, I'll take another look tomorrow

There are ruber gasquets on the holes of the filter. Maybe one was pushed in when you installed it. They are quiete cumberson to install.

Been a while since I changed mine but I would also swear to it there are o rings.